D-Link Wireless G USB Adapter

The back of my modem is full. Would we still need one slot in the back of the modem for the receiver of whatever we plug this into? It is, on it’s own, a wireless modem. But our desktop PCs do not detect wireless.

At the risk of sounding hackneyed and like a joke, I’ll ask: Will this work on my G4 Mac? Really? I’d like to set it up again, but not necessarily right next to the router, which means wireless. Anyone?

Unboxing at YouTube

It should - wireless G is a standard.

For example, it says “The Wireless G USB Adapter is based on the 802.11g standard and is backwards compatible with 802.11b, ensuring compatibility with a wide range of wireless routers and networks.” at TigerDirect.

uhh your router is likely full, but this is wireless network not wired. your full router should have wifi and you plug this into your computer to use the wifi. this enables you to use for example free wifi at mcdonalds with your laptop that isnt already wifi enabled. hope this clears it up for you.

i know that sometimes brands dont play well together. and that different brands use different key encryption methods that might not be compatible.

I don’t suppose it would work with a Samsung TV. Would it?

btw in for 2

The best thing to do for an Xbox 360 is to hook it up to your laptop, and turn on sharing for your laptops wireless connection. Then your 360 can access the internet through your laptop’s wireless!

Does this baby support packet injection and all that fun stuff? Just in case I ever get locked out of my own personal home wifi network, of course.

No. This is a USB device which will connect to a G-band wireless router. Make sure your router is G-band, rather than a, b, n, etc.

If you’re not sure, go to your router settings and see what band it is, or look on your other wireless receivers (or the laptops) and see what it is.

This is a good deal. Still can’t find these in a retail store for less than $30, and it’s nice that it has an extension cord rather than just a fat dongle which takes up space, front or back. Good design.

This adapter is backwards compatible - that is, it will work with a B router. It will also work with an N router, but at G range and speed.

And, just to be sure the original poster is clear, this adapter plugs into a USB port on your computer (not into a router or wireless modem), and allows that computer to communicate with a wireless network (home or public).

I have a previous model of this adapter which I purchased (refurbished) 3 years ago and it’s been running flawlessly (and continuously) ever since.

It’s only about 10’ from the router so I can’t testify to range but the router is also a D-Link which was purchased (new) at the same time and has also performed flawlessly.

Nice to see Woot offering a D-Link product instead of the usual Belkin or NetGear.

If this can be flashed with DD-WRT, it should be able to be used on a 360. Anybody familiar with this product or have one on hand to attempt it with?

Might work with a Mac. Check out this thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t130070.html

In for one to give it a shot.

My router is a G, my new laptop is an N, they don’t seem to work well together, weak signal and some times I have to hard boot the router to get it to find the laptop. Would this be the answer to my problem? Thanks

Any idea if this will work with the WDTV Live?

I was wondering the same. As per the wdtv forums, wdtvforum.com - wdtvforum Resources and Information. the answer seems to be no. This is the d-link 110 model. The only two they cite as being compatible d-link models are the dwa-125 and dwa-140.

Has anyone actually tried this model though? That forum list isn’t exhaustive.

it would work, but the N should be backwards compatible b+g, might be a conflict like i was talking about above.

You can’t flash an adapter - you flash a router with DD-WRT.