[DAILY DEAL 4/22/15] SlingTV

Whatever receiver the slingbox is connected to is the one it controls. If you are watching tv using that receiver and someone else connects to the slingbox to watch tv and changes the channel, the slingbox will change the channel on the receiver and anyone watching on the tv it is connected to will be affected.

All the slingbox is doing is taking the output of the receiver and sending it over the internet to a remote viewing device (phone, tablet, etc…) It is not a second “tuner” for your cable service.

I am using mine to be able to watch baseball games once I cancel my uVerse service. I set the box up at my parents’ house connected to a receiver they are not using so that when I connect and change channels it does not affect what they are watching.

I think Sling recommends a 3.5Mbps upload speed for watching HD content remotely. If you only have 1Mbps up the quality will not be that good. I think if you are connected to the same network as the slingbox it will stay local and not go out to the internet, but I am not 100% sure on that.

What’s the difference between the 350 and the 500 (other than the obvious design and, of course, the $$) ?

The 500 has HDMI and WiFi and some additional user interface features in the tablet app.

Here’s a good comparison review. I went with the 350 becauase of the potential for HDCP issues on HDMI and also becauase it was cheaper and I don’t need WiFi.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/09/slingbox-350--500-review/

I’ve owned several Slingboxes over the years. They have a history of declaring their hardware end of life and offering a $50 rebate on supported hardware via their overpriced direct purchase site. Expect to be left high and dry within three years. Felt like I was renting their hardware and gave up on them.

But when you full screen it it all goes away :slight_smile: (mostly)

My parents have ATT U-verse TV and Internet and I have a hard time getting any type of HD streaming.

Also, note that there will be some major lagging when changing channels and fwd/rwd-ing. Its not good for channel flipping.

Still though, it saves me $80/month on cable and I’m cheap. So thats good enough for me!

What speed internet do they have? i’m seeing the same thing but my parents only have 12/2. They can get 24/5 or 45/6 which should help greatly I would think.

I believe they have the 24/5. This is apparently the “fastest” internet service they provide in our area. (At my place the fastest they can provide is 6/1-I think)

Not to happy with their internet service but my parents like U-Verse tv and they dont really need fast internet for all the facebooking they do…

So, this may be a bit late to actually get an answer in time to buy this particular deal, but…

I’m toying with this idea: get my girlfriend to add another box to her FIOS account (will cost about $10/month) and then use a slingbox500 to let me control/view that box from my house.

Internet only at my house is ~$50/month and internet+tv is ~$110, so this will save me about $50/month. (I only have Time Warner Cable available at home.)

My “TV” is the second monitor on my PC, so there is absolutely no need for me to have a cable tv box at home. I do have a cable tv box, since TWC requires you to rent one here in NYC, but it is still in the box downstairs. I use TWCTV.COM to watch TV channels on my “TV”.

Comments? Will this work? Why doesn’t everyone do this? (Obviously, those of us without friends cannot, but otherwise…?)