[DAILY DEAL 4/29/15] Free Phone Service From FreedomPop

These phones run off of Sprint which is primarily CDMA, so most likely you would not be able to unlock for use in Europe.

I totally agree with newsom101 on all points.

I have at least a half dozen FreedomPop devices, and one more on order.

I’m coming up with all sorts of uses for them. Just trying to find the best apps to try.

I use one as a Square register.

I’ve put one in the window as a temporary security camera.

I’m trying to find the best app to make a GPS tracker/poor man’s Lojack. I plan to plug it in inside the glove box and leave it on. That way I should be able to tell where the car is regardless of who’s driving it.

The talk and text is just a bonus for most of my phones.

How do they make their money?

Terrible call quality (mostly lag) and constant errors with the messaging app that requires me to use a system tool to kill it, wipe the data and then restart to get it to work.

Weak cell signal in my neighborhood despite the map showing coverage.

I also accidentally used an account that I have never used that I activated a hotspot on. For some reason, it allowed me to do it.

Then, since the hotspot defaulted to the premium service 14 day trial, I got charged $28. Took a week of waiting for a response but I finally got the charge removed after providing detailed info about the charges.

It was a hassle but it was successfully resolved I admit.

Don’t do it! Just go to Amazon and read all the poor reviews. I’m one of those reviewers. Had a device that stopped working and spent 2 months trying to get a timely response. Was finally promised a refund for only 1 month of service and that was another 2 months ago with no response to my emails. Complained to Amazon and the reply implied they’re considering dumping Freedompop. Also check BBB.

They sell refurb phones (mine was actually really nice). Also, they offer premium service to include voice mail, extra data and extra text.

Hello! Why can’t I view the phones/shop on FreedomPop’s site without having to enter an email?

Thanks.

is this a home phone or a cell phone and is there a charge for the phone.

Do not buy this item if you want to use thephone as a phone. I have a zte force I purchased through their website. It was a brick for most of the first month and I was unable to contact customer service with times of longer than 20 min areally normal. I got through to activate but not to troubleshoot a few days later when my phone completely bricked. I posted on the forum and got a stock reply that did not pertain to my problem and required technical expertise.(this service is still in beta), Finally I emailed them and it took Bout two weeks for a response. By that time I had found the solutiron by googling the problem and searching beyond the top results. Since I don’t make many phone calls I didn’t realize that there was still problems. On my first long distance.call the call kept dropping and I ended up completing that call on my old phone. Thought maybe them problem was the nearby hot spot so thought.I’d test it again this week. Had to call off from work and discovered that on a call with an auto system my zte does not send the numbers pressed though and had to use the other phone. Used the zte to call my docto’s office and at the end of the call I couldn’t hang up. the red hangup button was not on the screen onkybthe green call button. Tried that and the message told me a call was in progress. Same thing happened yesterday except them red call button showed up about 30 secs after I finished the call and started looking for it. On the plus side–data and browser works great I am writing this on the phone. Forgot though–couldn’t get play store to work when logged in under my account with email on phone. created a dummy account and is working but I have not added my email account because I am afraid to.

I bought a (different) phone from them a year and a half ago and could never get it to work consistently. The usual issues you’ll read elsewhere (frequent crashes, half-day battery life on standby, 40 minute battery life when browsing, can’t make a call when I need to, etc.) even though I kept following their instructions to update to the newest version of their app. Then on top of that a new issue: all incoming calls got a message that the user (me!) had disabled incoming calls. Customer service was unable to help. Phone is now out of warranty, I’m $100 out of pocket.

Skip forward to April 15 of this year. I got an email offering a “free” upgrade to the LG Optimus F3, I just had to pay the $30 replacement fee. I looked at reviews of the phone, found one that said actual audio quality of phone calls sucked, and decided to pass. But … I was interested in giving the technology a try again and went to their website to look at my other choices. Logged in to my account, tried to find the page showing available phones for purchase, couldn’t find it. I emailed customer service on that day, April 15 2015 and asked “How can I browse and purchase a newer phone? I am already a freedompop customer and I can’t find anyplace on the website to upgrade my equipment after I log in.” I got an autoreply “Your request (#XXXXX) has been received and is being reviewed by your Personal FreedomPop Support Agent. Our support team will review your ticket and get back to you as soon as possible.”

So, today’s the 29th, it’s been two weeks, and their customer service still hasn’t replied to a straightforward question about navigating their customer website.

I’m not going to throw good money after bad.

But, Doesn’t the Galaxy S4 support both HSPA and LTE?
If yes, then it should work on most GSM networks in Europe. Right?

Looked at specs for the S4: shows as being model SPH-L720 how does it differ from the SPH-L720T ?
Internet shows that the SPH-L720T can be unlocked and used on any GSM network.

Worst company I’ve experienced. The services are inconsistent. It is very difficult to actually talk with a customer service rep, if you email takes over a month to get a reply. They sent me an iPhone that didn’t have a mic, I returned it, and haven’t received a replacement. When you order a phone it come preactivated but mine took 45 days to receive from initial order. Go to republic or another honorable company.

At least, unlike some on the mothership, they don’t just paste in the SAME EXACT verbiage for every complaint, as in

“We are sorry that you have experienced difficulties, at crummydyne, customer service is our first priority. Please call us at 1-888-toodarnbad for assistance.”

What ever happened to “There ain’t no free lunch?”

As this lists compatibility with LTE… could these phones be activated on the Verizon network?

Stay far away if you want to use any of these phones to make voice calls. Tried a couple of Freedom Pop phones for my teenagers and they do OK with data when connected to a WiFi. Neither one is useable for voice calls. They default to using VOIP when connected to a WiFi which is no better than attempting to use the cellular network for voice.No one could these turds working; my kids, myself, or Freedom Pop. The refurb devices look OK, but battery life is measured in minutes. $130 wasted on this junk. Never again.

I gave freedom pop a fighting chance and went through the hours on the phone over several days. i found that if you call in and choose the activation problems option you will get someone on the line much faster. they can transfer you to tech support and put you in the front of the line. wasnt worth it for me. i mean you cant knock them for offerinf free service that actually works… but if you dont get 4g lte service your screwed. 3g wont cut it. the biggest issue i had was the delay in speach it was a full 2 second delay, which can really get frustrating. great for texting BUT not mms text or group texts, both not allowed. you can send pics using google hangouts though or email. calls often drop, unless you have perfect service forget about using it while driving. I was decently impressed with the gakaxy s3, mint condition, nice phone with microsd slot. $130 for just the phone is great, no loss there. had to go back to straight talk tho, phone just isnt reliable enough.

I had my dad get the $30 viper phone and it sucks, really laggy, impossible to use and the battery lasts 3 hours. i replaced bat twice. need to build the nerve to call back again and have them replace phone or return.

As a small business owner, I can relate to FreedomPop taking an interest in damage control. It sounds like they are sincerely making an effort to improve customer service. By having a presence here they are reducing the odds you would have to deal with unsavory call center agents. Don’t get me wrong though. I’m not saying all call center agents are unsavory but as I have call center experience, I can honestly say the call center has to promote a pleasant environment in order to create a pleasant user experience.

I purchased the S4. If FreedomPop works for me, I’ll get another for my wife next time.

@Freedompop why are you selling the same phone (Optimus F3) at 1sale.com for $20.00 cheaper than on Woot?

@Woot customers think of this as a larger cheaper iPod. It plays videos, music, supports android apps and connects to Wi-Fi. If you think of it as a phone where you expect to be able to hold a conversation with someone, you will be disappointed. VOIP technology just isn’t there yet. Even bringing my old Galaxy S3,which worked perfectly with Sprint, the delay between what is said and when it is heard, was too slow. Might be good for a slasher film though, or like I said, as a portable Wi-Fi enabled media player.

[MOD: Checked with FreedomPop. Those cheaper models are B stock and will show wear, scratches, dents, etc. We are selling A stock which will show minor wear but no major dents/scratches.]

Customer service horrible, when I finally did talk to someone they seemed as if they’ve given up probably knowing this phone doesn’t work for most people. If it sounds to good to be true…