Daily Offer 1/2/15: Motorola SurfBoard Cable Modems

These Modems DO NOT have any Wireless capability, AGAIN these are NOT a WiFi gateway Router/Modem Combo.

These both are strictly a DOCSIS3 Cable Modem

Get the White one, the Black one is already outdated.

SB6141-White: 8x4 (Channels Down/Up) Good up to approx 150Mbps plus

SB6121-Black: 4x4 (Channels Down/Up) Good for up to 70-100Mbps Downloads

Theoretically, both modems are capable of higher speeds, but do to channel congestion, especially during primetime hours, the speeds listed above are more realistic.

I hear this is a good modem and have seen it at other retail outlets. I ordered one from woot a couple of months ago–what I thought was a factory reconditioned item. The box arrived and stated refurbished. Was supposed to get a $6 credit but it never showed up. After that it turns out it did not work for Comcast in CA as maybe it was made for a market outside of CA?

The 6141 has twice as many bandwidth pipes (8 pipes @ 40mb per second) while the 6121 only has 4 pipes at that same speed. That is about the only difference I know of.

I have Time Warner and I have the Ultimate Internet 200 package, but I’m still using my old 6121, so I can’t use the full speed I’m set up for.
Would the 6141 be able to and what’s the max it can handle?
Also with these refurbs is there anything to worry about or is Woot reliable for doing repairs?

I depends on how many download channels TWC provides you, If they provide 8 channels down, then yes, you should be able to get 200Mbps, at least off primetime. During primetime it may drop to 100-150Mbps.

This modem is outstanding (the white one with 8 bands)! You should definitely get it at this price - it’s a steal compared to the $90 I paid for mine…

Warning from the wise though: If you buy your own modem, you should continue checking your bills to make sure Comcast doesn’t keep charging you a modem rental fee.

I got charged a automatically charged a modem rental fee even though I owned my modem because the billing system at Comcast thought the modem serial number was in their “rental fleet”.

I faintly remember the tech last time I called about this mentioning 8 channels or 8 something about the router lol.
Are these refurbs as safe as buying a new one? I’m just not sure what’s wrong with them originally require a refurb and if it’s just a quick fix.

1. How to Beat TWC and Comcast's Bullshit Modem Rental Fees

2. One final note: If you’re on one of TWC’s new Ultimate 200 and Ultimate 300 plans, you’ll need to use the new Motorola SB6183 modem to really max out those download speeds. It’s worth checking to make sure you’re actually getting those speeds, since you know, TWC’s infrastructure is garbage.

Therefore, I would like WOOT to offer refurbished SB6183s ASAP.

Can that happen?

I’m with TWC on the Uktimate 200, is the 6141 going to be able to reach that at least?

I have the terrible SMCD3GNV comcast wireless gateway. What also do I need to purchase to compliment the modem and have my phone and several wired connects still working.

Well you’ll need a router and which to get depends on how much your willing to spend and the area size you want to cover.

I have the 6141 and get downloads at the speed I pay for which is something I never achieved with a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. You may get the same with the 6121, but, if you don’t have the greatest signal quality, the extra channels of the 6141 will likely perform better.

Not to sound too dumb here but how difficult to set up/ cancel a leased modem? Im with TWC in northwest OH and had a nightmare when I tried to go with a Tivo box instead of their PVR box.

What do they even charge a month for a modem? I have had the same one for a good 7-8 yrs - I bet I have paid for it like 15x’s over

White = Sold.Out

Shoot…

I also bought one of these last month. Sadly, the modem was still registered to another person, and Comcast would not let me use the modem on their system, and I had to send it back. I was hoping they would replace it with a working one, but they said they didn’t have left in stock, which of course now seems untrue. On top of that, even though I sent it back weeks ago, I am still waiting for a refund.

That said, I bought this new from Best Buy instead and its a big upgrade from the old modem we were using from Comcast.

I believe on NEW modems, the black model has no warranty and the white model has a 1 year warranty.

so…if i have the same modem from tw that i got when they set this up 6 or so years ago… the black one would be an improvement? correct? and someone who was totally clueless until i read what this was for could set this up? would this help with the fact that my son is playing xbox all the freaked time and if i watch anything online it times out?

Just unplug and return your old modem to TWC. KEEP THE RECEIPT THEY GIVE YOU. Also, your new modem should come with 4 sets of stickers with all the addresses that TWC will need to activate it on your account. Bring that too. Watch your bill to make sure the rental fee is gone.

Agreed. I bought the 6141 (white one) when I signed up for Comcast 50Mbps (boost) service. It met all of the requirements and was the most recommended during my searches. When I ran Speedtest with a direct Ethernet connection to the cable modem, I saw over 60Mbps downstream at times. Over WiFi, the typical downstream is about 30Mbps and the upstream is over 11Mbps.

By avoiding the modem rental fee, you save about $100 per year. It just makes sense.

Don’t toss your receipt. Even after 3 years, Comcast WILL start charging you rent on it, since they figure most people can’t prove they own a modem after that long. I DID beat them, but it took about 4 months of phone calls and repeated faxes. That’s one reason why I don’t want to upgrade. Going through that again would be terrible.