Davis Family Vineyards Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir - 2 Pack
$39.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: Red
PRODUCT: 2 2007 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
CT link above

Winery website

Davis on Yelp

Courtesy of CJ:

So join or create an interest thread now …

http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/10.gif

Anyone have this as well as the D’ONTSPILLE LE BLACK that can do a comparison of the two?

2007 was a good year for Pinot on the Sonoma Coast. Any sense of how long these might lay down or if they ought to be opened pronto?

I found this tasting note on a blog (Ray Johnson on Wine):

http://rjwine.com/blog/2009/10/10/davis-family-pinot-2007/

Haven’t popped a D’Ontspille yet. This is Sonoma Coast PN - PW is near Glen Ellen, where the climate is somewhat warmer. PN does well in cold climates - it ripens early, and it does well if it stays on the vine without getting too ripe. That is, there can be too much sun, which might be favorable for other grapes.
I expect this may be closer to an Oregon (Willamette Valley) PN, possibly with more developed flavors and aromas.

Of course, that’s based solely on climate differences. I just don’t know if we’ll be lucky enough to find a Wooter who has tried both to answer your question (and I’d think it would have to be a Wooter). :wink:

edit: The link that redwinefan posted (right above this post) is interesting (if not the most detailed), comparing the Sonoma Coast with the Russian River Valley PN.

Another review from Tastings.com from about 4 months back:

http://www.tastings.com/scout_wine.lasso?id=190013

Booze Review has a hilarious review and calls it ‘outlandishly good’.

This review calls it a lush and tasty fruit bomb for drinking young. (Edit: replicated above I see… post slipped)

Prince of pinot likes these, though the Sonoma coast isn’t specifically mentioned.

Great and entertaining review @ BoozeReviews which gives it 120 points out of 100… can’t get much better than that! From what I’ve seen of the several reviews including those @ CellarTracker, I think I’m about ready to push the big gold button (I guess we can’t say “pull the trigger” anymore).

Wow - all 6 reviews (2 from CT and 4 from subsequent posts) sound as if the they’re tasting 2 different wines. But it does sound as if all the reviewers like this (none more so than your Booze Review guy).

If a winery rep visits, which reviews are more accurate? Some say bright fruit/fruit forward/drink now or soon, while others say earthy, spicy/built to last.

I like your instincts here… but isn’t Sonoma Coast a huge AVA? Could be from any common CA climate. Anyway, From reviews, it indeed sounds like the warmer side of Pinot-friendly weather. Stats are respectable, if not ideal for those who like it restrained.

120 out of 100? That guy should be the next Robert Parker.

Great point. Looking at my DeLong’s map, Sonoma Coast is so large as to be almost meaningless. There are portions at the north end of Sonoma adjacent to the coast almost to Mendocino, and southerly portions next to Carneros and RRV.

In anticipation of my new wine cooler, I went in for 1. Sounds interesting, and I usually tend towards Sonoma Coast Pinots anyhow.

Available to rat if the gods so choose.

OK, I’m in!

Davis Family Vineyards Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir 2-Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 1m 19.373s
Last wooter to woot: greggarcia

BTW, I found a very tasty Pinot Noir at my local shop, Meiomi 2008 - I thought it was quite good, especially at about $19.00! Alas, when I went back for more, they were out-of-stock.

Oh - I did some homework that I didn’t go into.

First of all, Wellington is more centrally located (see this Sonoma Viticultural map).

And the notes for this wine on the Davis Family Vineyards website say:

“Another special place here in Sonoma County out near the coast, almost to the Pacific Ocean! The weather is around 10 degrees cooler than even our own Russian River Vineyard.”

I’ve read about some other Sonoma Coast wineries that are close to the ocean, and they speak of how cool their climates are.

My understanding is that most of the other AVAs of Sonoma are also part of the Sonoma Coast AVA. I know that Russian River (along with it’s smaller sub-AVAs of Green Valley and Chalk Hill) is, and I’m pretty sure that Dry Creek Valley and Alexander Valley are as well. Sometimes you’ll hear people talk about vineyards being “true Sonoma Coast” for the ones that are really right next to the Pacific.

I don’t see anything on the winery’s description or website that would indicate more precisely where these are from. This is one that would be good to get winery participation about.

The winery website states this came from Horseshoe Bend vineyard. Hopefully the winemaker will join us and let us know where on the coast this is.

Now this is the kind of deal I’ve been waiting for: good CT reviews, good external reviews, reasonable price point, and a nice discount from CT/winery prices.

In for 1. If tomorrow weren’t a holiday, I’d be pitching it to people at work.

P.S. This was also my first purchase since the Iron Horse in mid-December. Love a good reason to break the SIWBO! :wink: