Davis Family Vineyards Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir - 2 Pack

D’oh! I was looking at their description of the 2008 Pinot. In the 2007 description, they do talk about being out by the coast, so this probably does fall into the “true Sonoma Coast” definition. The others I’ve had from this area have been a lot closer to what I’ve had from Oregon than the other California pinots, with more of the mushroomy, earthy, “forest floor” types of aromas and less of the strong fruitiness.

Also, worth noting: 2007 was a spectacular year for pinot in California according to everything I’ve heard and tasted, and this wine is listed at $40 on the winery website. I think I might have to make my first woot purchase of 2011 on this one.

Same here, though unfortunately I haven’t actually been waiting, I’m a sucker for Pinot. All signs point to this being a solid one, especially at the price point. If I had the disposable income, I’d be in for at least four, for now, I look forward to opening one of the pair.

Sonoma County Harvest Fair 2009 winners

Page 40: Pinot Noir retail price $35 and over

Best in class - Davis Family Vineyards 2007 Russian River Vly $40.00

Gold Medal - Davis Family Vineyards 2007 Sonoma Coast $40.00

Yeah, this is an expensive hobby…! I figure I have some time to decide whether to up the order to 2. =X

I do love a good Pinot … sigh … EWOWBM broken

Can the winery please share with us their recommended drinking window?

It’s only money, right? [sometimes being single can be awesome!]

In for one, and if the winery can tell me the best time during which to drink this I’d appreciate it.

[How good is this deal?](http://bit.ly/eXhoey" title="How good is this deal?)

Shipping prices are not available on the winery website - they say they’re not very high tech so they’ll add in shipping at the winery after you place the order, before they actually charge your card. So this pricing sheet is based solely on pre-shipping costs.

Even so, at $40/bottle direct from the winery, this is a great deal even before shipping! Note also that the winery has minimum order sizes: 2 bottles if ordering from CA, 6 bottles everywhere else.

Click the link above for full discount details, links, etc.

Just visited the Russian River Valley during Thanksgiving, and it was gorgeous! Didn’t make it to Davis but visited a lot of other great wineries in the area and ended up bringing back a lot of cabs and pinots. What’s another 2 more!

Yes, and if possible, could we have the Brix at harvest and residual sugar, if any?

Im in… love to try new pinots and zins esp. I’ll compare it to my DONTSPILLE LE BLACK when I receive it… darn, I LOVE wine! :slight_smile:

Yeah, but do you really love it? :wink:

I do… and I love my kindle, golf, and working in my “man cave”… life is goooood !!!

Hey wooters - It’s Guy Davis - I"m the founder, farmer and winemaker at Davis Family Vineyards - Thanks for checking out this Sonoma Coast Pinot. I just came back up from the vineyard; we started pruning the Old Vine Zinfandel today so I’m grabbing coffee and checking in with everyone - this Sonoma Coast Pinot vineyard sits on a great hillside vineyard near the ocean that gets marine breezes all day long - it ends up with slightly thicker skins so the color is a deep rich violet and the wine has fuller body than our Russian River and great structure - I bottled aged it 18 months before its release so it is silky to drink now but well structured enough to last 10 years easy. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I’ll take a minute to answer them - I don’t mind a little break from being in the cold and fog for a minute!

There is no residual sugar, but there is a nice round character of ripe fruit; both red and black cherry, boysenberry - I picked this in two small picks as it ripened down the slope - the first harvest at the top of the slope was at 24.5 and a few days later I picked the bottom at 24 - The wine gets an opulent character from the site rather than residual sugar or from over extraction - it’s a nice balance between richness and finnese.

Sold! First click of the ridiculously large gold button this year!

I love supporting small production wines, the reviews look good, and I m happy to see the winemaker posting here. I am in.

ditto !!!

Srsly, WTF with this shipping?!? I love me some WOOT, but… I understand that not every shipment can be perfect, but it’s doubly frustrating to see complaints in posts over a year old with the same problems, followed by Staff comments saying “those problems have been addressed and fixed”. Yet here I am, with FedEx saying “the label was generated but no package was ever given to us.” And all I have is the auto-response email. All Woot has is my money…

I’m a little confused looking at the descriptions on your website. The '07 Sonoma Coast page discusses Horseshoe Bend Vineyard as its source, while the '08 Horseshoe Bend Pinot is labeled as RRV AVA.

It was explained above that Sonoma Coast includes RRV, among other sub-AVAs, so perhaps that explains part of it. But is there more to it? Did AVA boundaries change? Do you differentiate by AVA/vineyard based on style?

Sounds really good would like some paring notes as to what will go well with this but I’m in for 4 will be interesting to see how it ages.