Davis Family Vineyards Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir - 2 Pack

Sometimes your wishes just come true! I wooted the wine in January, after getting some info from the winemaker how “mercurey-vs-gervrey chambertin” the wine is, and it turned out to be everything I hoped it would be and some more. Granted, if you are into flabby fruity pinots, this one is not for you.

In for three, the wine is a steal for $20.

I enjoy earthy Pinots, but I’ve still got my bottles of this from the last woot sitting around. I’ll probably regret not picking up more, but I’ve got very little space.

Got this last time it was here. It was good. It was actually my first wine.woot.

Review here was much discussed last time:
http://www.boozereviews.net/wine/davis-family-2007-sonoma-coast-pinot-noir

Unfortunately, distribution laws/regulations for beer make this prohibitively difficult. It would be awesome if it was possible.

In for 3. Really liked it, was a favorite at the Super Bowl party for everyone.

I am not a pinot lover and I am in for 2 sets.

Most of my experience with Pinots comes from Sonoma valley and after a tasting trip there I got it in my head that they were all earthy/mossy/mushroomy and I really do not find pleasure in that. When these were on woot before I decided to give them a try because they sounded different than that. They were. I liked them. Here are my CT notes:

“This Pinot was completely unlike the other sonoma pinots I have had in the past. My past experiences have come with sonoma valley pinots with a mossy, earthy, mushroomy undertone. This Davis Family pinot has only the barest hint of that flavor to accent the beautiful rasberry and cherry flavors in this wine. The wine is fairly light bodied but has a great depth of flavor. Thanks Davis Family for making me believe in Pinot again!”

I was saving my other bottle for a special occasion, now I can open it and have 4 more to spare!

thanks rpm, can you expand a bit on what you liked and what she didn’t?

10 reviews on CT were all positive with a 90+ rating. Couldn’t be all that bad. Anyone else have an opinion from the previous woot?

The sites were down for maintenance. I guess they were having some issues handling the load, or something.

Hey WD, I think I’m in for 3 but doesn’t show up on my account…
HELP~~~~~

I got this when it was up originally, due to the very positive remarks of everyone at the time and the quite high CT average . I haven’t opened them yet, but not loving the descriptions of those above now.

Edit: I still agree with my earlier post, no need to see it twice

Sign me up!

Thanks RPM, that helped nudge me to push the ridiculous button. Now I’ll cross my fingers and hope the order goes through, given the current state of the servers…

While I wait a month or so before popping the first cork (and while others decide which side of the fence they’re on), any descriptors you’d care to throw out? Trying to triangulate from the various strangers’ reports I stumbled upon, it doesn’t sound exactly like a delicate red-fruited creature (which is one style that’d suit me), nor an (undesirable) overripe fruit & alcohol bomb pinot noir masquerading as a syrah.

Postscript: hooray, after minutes of suspense it turns out my application to buy this wine was accepted. Though methinks woot exaggerates a bit when they say “Everything went smoothly.”

I’m still digging the QPR on the Dontspille le Black PN from December. Still got some, so the SIWBM wins on this one and it’s a pass.

Any tasting notes, general thoughts on why you though it was okay and she didn’t?
Lots of high scores in CT, but inconsistent notes, with some citing lots of fruit, others lots of earth…

Meh, most beer I want I can get locally for a pretty decent price. There are only a few that don’t distribute outside their own state or local area that I wish I had. Those are mostly like this because local demand is too high or simply due to the fact that they aren’t bottled.

One of the classiest labels you’ll find!

Got 4 bottles from the last woot…but if I didn’t I’d buy!

I got this last time as well. My wife and I really liked it, was one of our favorite pinots we’ve had, but we’re still pretty new to the grape, and certainly haven’t bought a lot of $40 retail bottles.

Any advice for a good pinot noir for the money? I would like to get to know it a little better, but they tend to be pricey.

Trying to decide if I should go in for more of these. . .

Wes

Why not, why not? Can we please please have a mini-description inluding what other Pinots it might taste like nd how different? Fruits/earth/elegance?

:slight_smile: