1 2007 Cote Rose
1 2008 Sonoma Coast Riesling
2 2008 Cuvee Luke
CT links above

Winery website

Yelp

Previous offer:
1/17/11

Am tempted to go in for 1 just based on how great the Pinot offer was. It took first place at a blind tasting last weekend with about 15 of our friends.

Any chance we could get the RS numbers for these?

I so want to click the button on this… really wish there was summer shipping right now, but I may be willing to gamble.

I went through all of the descriptions on the website and found that they are all dry (no RS numbers that I could find though). It looks like a pretty decent discount ($95 without shipping from the winery).

Although it was a little hard to hear, at the end of the Vinter’s Voicemail, it sounds like Davis will be back on Woot tomorrow with a black tie red offer. This could be an expensive Woot week.

This.

I’ll see tomorrow whether anyone at work likes rose. The cuvee sounds wonderful.

[Awesome, in for 1!]

The “bone dry” Riesling has me very, very intrigued. All the others sounds good as well.

[labrat]

LABRAT Report

May the WOOT gods be blessed!! Not only did I get to report on the wonderful Alex Sotelo Syrah but it was a doubled with Tuesdays offering, the 2007 Davis Family Vineyards Cote Rose’ Russian River Valley. As you can gather from some of my recent posts I loved the pinot Noir from the last Davis offering and my expectations were quite high when I received this.
Received the bottle Friday and popped in the fridge (35 deg F) Pulled the bottle Monday evening And let it stand 15-20 minutes Typical Bordeaux bottle with a deep racking dimple in the bottom, clear glass. Foil capsule and real cork. Cork was printed and waxed - winery name, phone and website. Top was embossed but the kitten absconded with it before I could see what it was. No wine info on the back label just motto, vinted and bottled by, and Gov. warning. Wine is dark salmon color not pink but salmon.
Opened and poured the wine is cold. The wine is tart at the start with a woodsy tannic middle and a very subtle fruit finish. This is a food wine not a young girl by the pool wine. Bone dry and not enough fruit to fool anyone there might be sugar left. It reminds me of a good Bandol rose’. As the wine warms the woodsy earthy middle takes over the initial tartness and makes the wine much more pleasant, this is not an oaky flavor but more like dry leaves or forest flavor. I can’t identify the fruit as it is not prominent but it is there. This is a red wine drinkers rose’, very complex and moderately tannic. It was fine cold but much better a little warmer and even the last room temperature sip was fine as the wine did not fall apart at the warmer temperature. I had the wine with a grilled soy glazed albacore steak, Jasmine rice and asparagus. While the grass didn’t go I have yet to find a wine that pairs well with it. Everything went just fine but I think a little more acid or sweetness in the dish would be better.
My S.O. who doesn’t drink white wine liked it as well. I think they made this wine just for me as it is exactly what I want in a rose. If you are looking for a pink Zin type this is not it. If you are looking for a crisp dry rose’ that will pair well with a wide variety of foods buy it.

Wow, you got to double rat? That’s awesome. I hope we see the other wines ratted as well.

Thanks for the rundown. I’m going in for one and saving some money for tomorrows possible Davis black tie offer.

This offering appeals to me greatly - I LOVE rosé, and the white blend sounds fantastic (as well as being rather unique, which I also appreciate). Riesling’s always pleasant to drink, too. The rarity of these wines - so few cases made! - is a further bonus.

BUT, I’m worried about the age of these wines. I find that I prefer both whites and rosés as young as possible, and to my palate most non-red wines generally decline over time. I’ve learned the hard way after opening several bottles that vintages more than 2-3 years old (so beyond 2008-2009) are quite likely to be past-peak, or even undrinkable. This may be just my palate, but it bothers me enough that I have to be careful what I buy.

So, in the bluntly honest opinion of the winemaker (or winery representative), do you think that these wines are past-peak, or if not, do you think a fussy palate like mine is likely to find them significantly less ‘fresh’-tasting than they would have been 2 years ago? And putting my palate aside, by what date would you advise we drink these wines/when will the wines start to decline?

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have to offer. :slight_smile:

Now that I have seen the offering I am in for one, if you right about Wednesday offering I may be in trouble.

Thank you for posting your review so promptly! Very nicely detailed and informative, too. :slight_smile:

Can I ask, did this rosé seem at all “past-peak”? If you tasted it blind, what would you have guessed for the vintage? If it’s not clear what I mean by these questions, see my prior post above.

Wines change with age and peak is very subjective that said there was probably more fruit earlier in its life but it is drinking wonderfully now, there were no off or oxidized flavors. Except for sweet whites I generally don’t hold them long though I have had some old chards and Champagnes that were great ( the 1990 Krug I had for the millenium was a standout).

After reading the reisling description I am glad she doesn’t like white; more for me.

You had me at “a good Bandol rose,” but the mention of a kitten helped to make me go in for two. Great lab ratting. Thank you.

Hey Wooters - Thanks for your notes! I do not hesitate at all to confirm that these wines are still bright and balanced - fresh and fun to drink - in fact the acidity on these wines are far more “kinky and crunchy” than any signs of being tired - they have a delicious “mouthwatering”, crisp, clean profile that lift up the flavors in the wines as well as any foods that they may be paired with. The Cuvee Luke has complexity that keeps unfolding all night… the fact I make these in stainless steel barrels gives you insight into how they stay bright, - no oxidation in barrels preserves the freshness and also leaves the flavors pure to the vineyard and varietal, not the barrel _ that’s why I age them in bottle for a year before releasing them to let the textures “exhale” because they are so crisp to begin with - they are in a great spot for this Spring/Summer season-
It’s late for a farmer like me…I’ll check back in early AM manana!

The neutral French Oak is a welcome touch. From what we have tasted, it really does help to add texture while maintaining accurate varietal character, even in a blend.

nosnevets, thank you for such an honest and helpful response. Combined with your earlier Bandol comparison, you’ve definitely helped sway me.

winemakerguydavis, your acidity descriptions sound absolutely wonderful. I did note the use of stainless steel in the woot! description, and I do see why you would wait a year to let the rosé age in the bottle before release; thanks for that explanation. And I do prefer all stainless steel rosé as opposed to those that see oak. The touch of oak you use with the white wines in this offer sounds like a great (and rather unique) balance that I will enjoy trying, too.

I’m glad you guys convinced me to place my order because I bet these will sell out within 24 hours!

This just looks interesting to try. The Luke with just a touch of Viognier added to the Marsanne and Roussanne along with the French and stainless steel fermentation has my interest piqued. The dry Rose… So, I am in.