Dazzle Video Creator Platinum

I got one… video quality is utter crap

Thanks Both of you! Karma++

It depends on the compression that you set in the software. At the highest settings I believe it was about 1.2GB or so for an hour of video.

I’m looking to record videos from my 360, would this be the thing to get? I heard bad things about the program it uses, but I was going to capture it to Sony Vegas or something.

Of course it is - this thing uses RCA cables, what were you expecting? When you’re converting VHS tapes, there’s really no room to complain though.

wow this is a great price… the usual platinum is over 100$ and the regular red one (not as good) is about 50$ i think. i have a red one but i dont use it at all…oh well=]

This would be a low resolution solution for doing that, sure. You’re not going to have the best looking videos, but they’ll look alright.

this is a perfect product to record things such as halo machinimas or almost any other kind of gamplay video. It’s fine for video recording too (definetly recommending since the platinum is usually over 100$)

1st off it is $10 more…

Second thing I notice is this one apparently can do Mpeg 4 compression which is two better than he one you got… (ok - not really ‘two’ but is is capable of a newer form of compression).

Overall it looks like this comes with a few more bells and whistles - about $10 worth in woot terms I’d say.

Link to detailed specs of the other Dazzle product you refer to (the red one) here: http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=6209

Link to detailed specs on todays woot here: http://www.woot.com/Blog/ViewEntry.aspx?Id=6406

Open two browser windows and knock yourself off comparing them :slight_smile:

I don’t know this model specifically. But it does MPEG-2 and claims to make DVDs, so one hour of MPEG-2 video, with its software, is probably about 2.2 gigs. That’ll let you get 2 hours of video onto one DVD-Video disc.

Its software probably has lower and higher sampling rates too.

It also claims MPEG-4 which compresses tighter for storage on your hard drive, but that’s a different format than a DVD-Video disc uses.

This is a quick but probably right answer, until you get a better answer.

hey guys, can i hook this up to my dvr on my tv and put some of my recordings onto my ipod??

Since this directly captures video… It’d be possible to play video games on a laptop screen… though with the software included the screen size would be quite small.

If your dvr has standard “composite video” video outputs, yes.

Maybe… (I am pretty sure yes)

I don’t have this particular device (yet) - but assuming you record whatever you want from your DVR to your computer - compressed in Mpeg4 - you should then be able to use one of several applications out there to convert it to a format/size your Ipod would like.

I got the red one (DC100) and it works great on Vista. No install probs. From what I read I expected I might have an install prob or thought it might break, but it’s been fine for a couple months. YMMV.

Meanwhile, I love it because it only cost $15, and I added a digital converter box (only $10 with the $40 government coupon), and a $5 bow tie UHF antenna, plus some cable. So for only $35 total I’m watching digital TV channels on my laptop. The resolution’s only analog TV quality, but it’s all I need.

According to the specs you need Windows Xp or Vista. Doesn’t say anything about Mac OS - so I would say no.

My mom wants something like this for Christmas…does it really require DX 9, or is that just the software it uses? I doubt her low-level Dell could handle it if so…

This model offers hardware based mpeg and Divx encoding. The red one uses software encoding. This has two advantages, in theory. Your computer doesn’t get locked up doing encoding during video capture, and the USB speed shouldn’t be a drawback to quality, since your PC is capturing already compressed video.

In for one.

Can I hook my xbox 360 into this and be able to use full screen for playing video games?

I own both this and the red DVC100

A couple notes you may want to know:

My platinum eventually started recording funky colors. If you buy this and don’t experience that, it’s pretty good and can record straight to mpeg2 to save space.

It CANNOT however stream on ustream or the like. It just doesn’t work. You have to use the DVC100 for that. If you’re wanting to stream stuff, you’d be better off finding one of those instead. The only difference in them is that the DVC100 doesn’t record straight to mpeg2, so you have to encode it after, and it takes up a lot of space before you do.

Finally, to those who think about using it to play on a monitor: You can, but there’s a second delay in controls, so if you really wanted to do that and get the most out of it, you’d want to buy AV splitters to direct the video both to your TV AND your dazzle, play it on the tv, record on dazzle. AV Splitters can be found on dealextreme for like 50 cents.