De'Longhi Single-Serve Espresso Maker

I’ve been eying the Lattissima Plus for a while now (it’s been on my wish list for over a year), and the comparison on DeLonghi’s site

http://s29.postimg.org/n4pynz7n7/Page_1_screen_capture_1.jpg

makes it look like the only difference is the cup warmer, however this machine is significantly more expensive. It also appears to be an older model with slightly worse Amazon reviews. Thoughts?

EDIT: Also found this review comparing the newer Plus to this model http://www.amazon.com/review/R2F5ZQP6M7MPHY/ and I think I’ll keep pining over the newer model instead of jumping the gun on this one for a $20 difference.

I had the step-down model from this one for a couple of weeks prior to purchasing the Saeco Talea Automatic that I settled on.

The espresso from these things is honestly very good. Surprisingly so. The two things that ultimately led me to returning it are:

-Mail-order only for capsules. Unless you buy $50 or $100 (can’t recall) than you typically pay shipping.
-While it does brew a proper shot of espresso, it truly only shines at the default 1.5oz shot size. You can perhaps get another .5oz out but you risk bitterness from over-extraction. The lungo capsules alleviate this, but even with lungos 3.5oz was a bit bitter and I dialed it back to 2.5oz.

This meant that for almost any drink I was using 2-3 capsules - yes I like coffee and I drink a lot of it >.> 3 shots is my usual at the local barista, and I do 2 lungo shots from my saeco at home.

That all being said, if you like smaller drinks, 2 shots max, or just pure espresso shots and want it easy this thing is great and does a fantastic job - and IS capable of a big drink when you’re in the mood for one, it just seemed silly to do 3+ for every drink for myself. It didn’t quite fit my life, but they have great reviews for a reason.

If you like to ship a produce back and forth to repair, make certain you purchase the extended warranty, purchase this machine…and get ready to box and unbox this beauty…this is your dream machine. I own one of these, and the frothing pump has failed for the sixth time in 18 months. It has been repaired three times and replaced twice. The machine was replaced in July and is currently in shop being repaired again. You would be much wiser to purchase the Latissima PLUS. It is no coincidence Nespresso (DeLonghi) does not produce this machine any longer.
I own a Latissima PLUS and a Pixie with an aeroccino … LOVE LOVE LOVE both of them… cannot trust this little booger. Always feel like I am gambling when I want a Macchiato… not funny.

Hey - no need to come up with a nonsensical story on my account. I was just pointing it out. I sure hope, however, that you guys come up with a better excuse if it were the FTC asking. . . .

Having problems registering the machine through nespresso.com or the $75 credit promo. Are the machines used/preowned? I am worried that the machine serial number is already registered to someone else.

It’s new. We never did hear back if we qualified but a Wooter talked to the company (see the post above). You might need to contact them personally.