Debt Row

Almost perfect for me, but I would need one with the special addition of his friend “medical debt.”

Plenty of folk to identify with this.

Love this, but it’s too painful to purchase.

#FeelTheBern

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h78/wp23n/feel%20burn_zpsws3xv3la.jpg

G.I. bill took care of most of the tuition, parents helped out with the rest. They get free technical support for life. :wink: I might have trouble doing that these days; the price of higher education has gone haywire.

There are options other than leaving school $mortgage in debt.

You could, for example, go to a community college, work while you’re in school, and get a summer internship.

The problem in this country is that young kids have it in their heads to spend $200,000 on a history degree that leaves them qualified to get a job earning $30,000 when they graduate. Nothing about that is a good idea.

I think the problem there is finding out why a 30k/year job requires a 200k tuition. Sure, you could say “if no one took the classes” but I’ll be darned if I want a generation without history teachers.

Supply and demand.

There is merit to “study what you love”, but you have to be sensible about it too. A community college costs far, far less and the education will be just as good.

I went to a state college, but I also took a few classes over the Summer at a community college. The professors were every bit as good - the difference was the students.

Most of the students at the community college were pretty lazy, but so what? My education depended on me, not on them.

There’s also nothing wrong with going to a trade school. A welder can makes a LOT of money these days and can work almost anywhere.

Don’t want a ton of debt after school? Don’t go to an overly expensive school and don’t get a degree in something like “Underwater Basket Weaving Techniques of Ancient Babylonia.”

If that interests you, then by all means go ahead and study it. You don’t need a school to do it. But if you DO decide to go into debt $200k with a worthless degree don’t come whining to me about it and expect me to pay for it. You made that decision.

For a long time I regretted not going to college but my professional career never seemed to be stifled by not having a degree. On top of that, seeing friends of mine suffer the crushing weight of loans that will never get paid by their women’s history major. Part of me wants to buy this as a joke for them but like a previous comment said “it is too painful”.

Congratulations on your first place win, Simic! Cute little diploma…verrry expensive, but usually worth it…

Maybe you should enroll your new little one in a prepay college tuition program. :slight_smile:

The problem is that a $30k/year job does NOT require $200k tuition.

Some jobs want people who graduated college and don’t care what the degree is - they just want people who graduated college because it’s evidence that they are of reasonable intelligence and maturity. But you don’t need a $200K tuition for those - a community college associates degree and then a BS from a local commuter school is plenty.

More to the point, chances are if you are taking one of these $30K jobs that doesn’t care what your degree is, you could make just as much doing something just as fulfilling without setting one foot onto a college campus.

Or, you could go to college but major in something scientific or technical where you will have a skill that employers need.

The problem is that our society puts out far more people with history degrees than it needs. Nobody wants a generation without history teachers and nobody is arguing that we should have it. But if you’re going to major in history and you’re not on a full scholarship (or, I suppose, from a wealthy family), then you ought to major in history at the University of South Central Podunkville where tuition is $10K, not at UCLA where the tuition is $60K.

Vocational colleges are a good idea too. My son did culinary college in one. Only $30,000 in debt (would have been over 100k easy at a ‘culinary college’. That wouldn’t have included boarding, books, knives, and all the extras a chef needs.

I know what you mean. I’m happier in a $25k job with no degree than a 60k one with so much debt, it’s like making 20k a year for the next 20 years.

This is an odd forum for this discussion, but I can’t leave it alone.

I know many people who worked through school. I worked 40 hours per week for most of the time I was in college - it paid my living expenses. At $9 per hour or whatever the local minimum wage is, there’s not a lot left over to use toward tuition.

Additionally, a summer internship will almost certainly be unpaid. My college did not allow you to pre-register or post-register for the internship credit (you must be enrolled in an internship “class” while doing the work, rather than registered during the spring or fall). Every internship I’ve ever seen has required the student to be receiving credit for it, so the summer internship will cost three credit hours’ worth of tuition.

There are certainly things that students could choose to do differently, but there are also real issues created by the institutions and the loan providers. Colleges are required to do exit counseling, for dealing with student loans, but no one helped me before college to try to minimize them. Financial aid is also obsessed with parental income, when the reality is that many parents are not providing any assistance. I was on my own, but until 24, the federal government does not consider a student to be independent.

(Also, I’m immediately going to forget writing this, so don’t expect a response.)

Thanks, Inatangle! And thank you for always being supportive to everyone here in general.
My plan is to win every single derby for the next 15 years, so my kids will have to borrow only $500k in student loans.

Now, I can finally check off “win 1st place on woot” from my To Do list.

I have never worked in an unpaid internship. The company I work for hires paid interns. Why do we pay them? Because we want quality people and if we didn’t pay them they would go somewhere else.

When I was in school, if I wanted to do an internship during the academic year, I had to pay a nominal fee - $50 - which kept me considered to be a “full-time student” - I can’t imagine a school charging you the full three-hour tuition fee while you’re interning and if a school does charge that, you should find a different school. That’s ridiculous and not a standard industry practice. (And if it’s summer time, you don’t have to pay anyone’s fee anyway because you’re still a full-time student even if you don’t take summer classes.)

If you live on campus and have a meal plan, then your other living expenses are next to nothing. If you’re making $9/hour 40 hours/week, then let’s say you have $5 of that after taxes + misc expenses to devote to your education. That’s around $3200/semester right there. That’s not going to pay for one of these $60K/year schools, but it’s going to get you halfway to paying for in-state tuition somewhere in your state. Throw in working over the summer and modest student loans and you should be able to get out of there with $carloan debt instead of $mortgage debt.

Speaking of history teachers, why is the WOOT shirt write-up talking about the graduating class of 2015? That year’s been gone for 4 months.

My kid went to a community college after 1 year at a state university. In community college, he blossomed. The teachers there wanted to find talented kids who had to be ‘polished,’ to make them feel good about themselves. Not saying it’s like that everywhere, but there’s more chance at a small school than at a big university. After CC, he finished his 4 year degree - took 7 years in all, but hey, it’s not a race.