Deep Sea Central Coast Syrah (2)

Hi Mark-
Glad you enjoyed the '08 Deep Sea Red, we were very pleased with it as well. Do give this 2008 WhiteHawk Syrah a try. The WhiteHawk is a rich, voluptuous cold climate Syrah. Only the very best barrels from the WhiteHawk lots made it into this blend. Enjoy and thanks for your interst!

Andrew Adam
Winemaker-CFW

I love your “natural environment” position! This past winter we had some friends over for dinner (local winemakers) and we served this White Hawk with Braised short ribs and a Hunter’s sauce with rosemary in lieu of tarragon (my preference) and a potaoe/turnip mash. It was great with this Syrah!

Andrew Adam

Hi Kyle- great question and as well as a savvy observation. I am a huge fan of the Alban Syrah’s and admittedly am biased for the simple fact I worked there for 9 years. Most agree that the high pH, low acid, ripe fruit is the formula for short lived wines, and more often than not it’s true. I feel this is one of the “or not” wines. I opened a 2004 syrah I made last month. Very similar in style and #'s, pH 3.89, alc 16.2,TA under 6. Showed great but probably at its peak and may be good for another 2 years max. But that was an '04 in '12. The WhiteHawk was made in that style, unfined and unfiltered.
Thanks again for your thoughts and I never for a moment thought you were pushing the old vs. new position. Great comments Kyle! Thanks again.

Andrew Adam

I recently had this wine and I would agree with a lot of what cjsiege said above.

The nose was definitely meaty. I detected a high note of current or similar berry but underneath I kept thinking smoked meat. It was actually quite nice, not unpleasant in any way.

It is a beautiful plumb color. I has some when we first opened it and then about an hour later having been left open on the counter. It did open up after some time, but I don’t believe this need a long decanting.

I also agree with the sour fruit note, my first thought was sour cherries. It definitely has a good amount of fruit. It was a little too tart for my taste though, similar to Sangiovese wines which I also find too tart. However, if you enjoy that characteristic in your wines, I believe you will like this.

I do love me some paso syrah. The last syrah we had from white hawk vineyard was great. But this is slightly over my current per bottle limit.