Dell 3120 11.6" Intel 16GB Chromebook

Dell 3120 11.6" Intel 16GB Chromebook

I don’t know anything about laptops and computers. I have a 8 year old looking for a laptop to play simple games and use for some odds and ends. Is this a good one for $80?

Yes, this would be good for that. It requires a WiFi connection for the Internet.

NOTE, HOWEVER, that you won’t even get a full year’s worth of updates for it (including security updates)!

2 Likes

You pay for updates?

No.

Let’s forget for a moment that this is sold out. Why did you say, “You won’t even get a full year’s worth of updates for it (including security updates).” This is a Chromebook. Every time you update the Chrome browser, your computer is secure. There are no other security updates. (And 16GB is certainly enough for doing this).

Or am I misunderstanding what you said?

It’s right there in the Specs:
Google Approved with Auto-Updates through June 2020

As far as I’m aware, it runs out of updates as of June 2020. Just like Android phones aren’t updated past a certain point. Just like iDevices are unable to be updated beyond the existing hardware. Only, Chromebooks seem to run out of updates sooner, for whatever reason. Actually, most (low-cost) Android tablets don’t get upgraded past their initial version. They only get security updates.

That’s the main reason I don’t bother to look at refurbished Chromebooks.

Interesting (for me) article about Chrome OS updates:

1 Like

Chrome OS (operating system) is different than the Chrome browser. (software application)
Both require updates to make sure they are secure against evolving threats.

Edit: here is some info about updating Chrome OS.

The “runs out of updates” comment could be in reference to this:

1 Like

So my wonderful little Toshiba Chromebook that I got in my I.R.K., will be running out of updates in Sept. 2020. That’s so sad.

Good read.

Meanwhile, Windows 10 works on almost every PC released in the past decade.

Some even beyond that. I have W10 running well on an Dell Latitude D620, a laptop released in 2006. Granted, I did spend $20 upgrading it with a T7200 CPU, 4GB of ram, and to a 120GB SSD.

I’ll give you $7 for it; you’d make a profit. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

They have rams in Great Britain?

(Obviously, look at all the recipes they have.)

I really like it. You’ll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

1 Like

download%20(1)

Although I suppose that I could just subject your hands to frostbite…

Nah, not really.

I’d feel bad, mainly because I can’t find anybody else who REALLY likes green AND pink.

I just got this in. But the blasted thing won’t even turn on. All i get is a white screen. anyone have the same issue or fix?

Yikes, I’m really sorry to hear that! If you haven’t already, please use the Customer Service form and they’ll be happy to help.

Yep. That’s what I was referring to! Thanks for providing the link!