Dell Latitude 14" Core i3 Laptop w/SSD

You’re joking,right?

Sorry, I edited my post before I seen yours…

:-)… Nope. Not going to get in a tinkling contest here but I’ve been using a tower that came with a SSD (64gb). It took me 2 weeks to exceed the limit of the drive even though I was installing EVERYTHING on the data drive. Just saying, it’s not for everyone and to me, I don’t need to shell out the bucks for a 300gb+ SSD drive just to gain a few seconds on booting. My needs justify internal capacity. Who wants to dongle a external drive while on the top of a telephone pole like I would have to do? Besides, 130.00 for 750gb hybrid vs 400.00 for a cheap 500gb SSD. Thats enough price dif for me to go with a 750.

It’s a Latitude, the business model. They don’t need to look flashy. Latitudes ROCK. I still have perfectly working Latitudes from the mid 90’s sitting around (don’t ask LOL). I would take one of these over an Inspiron or any other brand/model any day of the week.

This is a great price for what you are getting. If I wasn’t already rocking an i5 Dell I got from work, I would have bought one of these no questions asked this morning for myself.

I bought a similar laptop from Woot last year (Dell E6420) for about twice this much. The main difference was that my model came equipped with an i5 processor, a 256GB SSD and an HD+ display (1600x900). I definitely appreciate all three upgrades, but this looks like a pretty solid middle-ground deal. No complaints so far…it’s an incredibly well-built machine, runs smoothly and is easily to upgrade. Just buy a little extra RAM, an external hard drive and a wireless mouse and you’ll be set.

Does anyone know if the SSD that these come with is one that uses the hard drive bay or if it is mSATA? Ideally for me it would be mSATA so I could stick additional slower storage in the HDD bay but I realize that’s probably wishful thinking.

According to the writeup on one of the above links, it’s in the Hard drive bay… BUT, very easy to swap out if you wanted. The writeup states the bottom comes off with a few screws, and you have access to just about everything… even adding a cellular card.

I wonder who this is refurbished by?? Is it Dell? Or are these off-lease computers that have been wiped down with Windex and repackaged and sold as refurbished? FYI, 1366x768 is not good resolution for a 14" notebook. Get ready for a grainy screen if you buy this computer. Now if this was 1600x900 screen, I might consider it.

There are a lot of reasons that a product is labeled as refurbished. You’ll notice many of the reasons have nothing to do with something being fixed. That’s pretty interesting, isn’t it? :wink:

Has anyone ever had problems with refurb laptops? I’m tempted to jump on this but the refurb has me wary .

Refurbished doesn’t have to mean broken. A ton of these could have just gone off-lease.

FYI: These were not leased computers.

The 90 day warranty is pretty skimpy. Anyone know what adding a SquareTrade warranty would cost?

^What he said^ (it’s no wonder you have so many quality posts)

Want a great budget laptop. Get something decent and make it great with a SSD instead of traditional hard drive.

I’ve brought several Dell refurb laptops over the years - no problems at all

There’s a link on the Features tab. One year is $56.99.

$56.99 for 1 year

Well, this made my morning. My Dell Vostro laptop with Core 2 and Windows Vista Pro (remember that?) is several years old and I bought it because it is a business machine and came with ZERO third party stuff I never needed anyway.

Looks like I will jump on this and say to my wife I just bought my birthday present two months early…

BTW, I am now retired and will use this around the house like I do with my Woot purchased ASUS tablets. So, I am not concerned about weight, especially when this Vostro weighs in at 9+ pounds… :wink:

Plus with the reviews, looks like I can use this on my boat and load up some navigation software for a back up of my nav system. A win win… thanks Woot…

If it’s like all the Dell Latitudes I know, the DVD drive bay is removable. Just buy a tray, slap in your favorite hard drive, and have the drive storage AND the SSD for booting. No need for an external anything as long as you don’t need the optical. If that happens, pop out the drive, pop in the optical, get what you need off of it, and pop back in the drive. With a little creative thinking, you can indeed have it all.

Not soon enough!

I’m looking for a couple like this as my minecraft computers. Aside from the small screen/size (which I prefer for travel), the video card seems robust enough to run it smoothly.

Recommended Requirements for Minecraft:
CPU : Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 (K8) 2.6 GHz
RAM : 2GB
GPU : GeForce 6xxx or ATI Radeon 9xxx and up with OpenGL 2.0 support (excluding integrated chipsets)
HDD : 150MB

It looks like from the website below that the video card is up to snuff but I need more confidence.

Thoughts?