Dell Mystery 11" 2-in-1 Convertible Notebook

I just got mine today – Bright red, AMD A6-9220e, 32 Gig SSD, 4 Gigs RAM. Looks to be the same everyone else is getting. So much for some of us getting a more robust system.

Worth noting, the off axis viewing of the screen is terrible! More than a few degrees either side or up/down and the screen goes negative. That negates the usefulness of the tablet mode. In fact, it makes it almost useless…

I guess I’ll be getting an SD card for it. Does it make any difference as to what specs it should have other than the capacity? I’ll be installing some applications on it along with data.

Yes. You don’t want anything that’s below a class 10 or UHS-1, which are speed ratings. Ideally, at least a U3 would be much better.

Thanks much. Would this one work okay?

It’ll work, although I cringe at the price because $20 buys a Samsung 128GB at Amazon.
https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-MicroSDXC-Adapter-MB-ME128GA-AM/dp/B06XWZWYVP/

Thanks! I ordered one from Amazon today :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dell Support said the max cap for the MicroSD card was 128 GB. So I purchased that and an 8GB DDR4 -3200Mhz RAM card. Installed both this afternoon and removed bloatware from the harddrive so this little red computer is as good as it’s ever going to be.

What 8GB module did you buy? Is access to change it difficult? Thanks!

Doesn’t look too bad. Dell’s service manual is here:
https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/inspiron-11-3185-2-in-1-laptop/inspiron_11_3185_servicemanual/inspiron-11-3000-2-in-1-service-manual?guid=GUID-5B8DE7B7-879F-45A4-88E0-732155904029&lang=en-us

1 Like

Bought the Crucial 8GB DDR4-3200 RAM from Amazon. Nine screws on the bottom of the notebook (middle screw is covered with a red sticker). A little finesse to wiggle the back cover off. The crappy thing is that the RAM access is underneath the copper heat sink. It’s no big deal to unscrew it and lift it off (follow the numbered sequence on the heat sink, 1-4) BUT to do it right, you need to clean off the old thermal paste from the CPU and the heat sink and apply new thermal paste. You can buy thermal paste on ebay for a buck or two. It typically costs twice that on Amazon. It really is a bit of hassle and added expense to jazz up this shitty notebook. I wouldn’t be as disappointment if I could drop in an SSD but my version doesn’t have that option.