Dell Mystery 17.3" AMD Ryzen Notebook

Hmmmm what should I do?

1 Like

buy one. you’ll be the lucky one who gets the athlon processor

Buy catshirts instead.

1 Like

What’s the point of all this “mystery” crap? Just list it for what it is.
The only reason to hide info from the buyer is if you know they wouldn’t actually want to spend the money if they knew what they’d get for it. It’s underhanded and sleazy.

1 Like

It’s supposed to be “fun”.

I think.

Yeah. Fun.

Mainly because there’s a gamble that you could get something better than what you’re expecting.

It’s much like the OMG deals which Woot has done in the past.

If you’re specifically seeking out the higher specs, these mystery offerings are not for you.

Woot listed the minimum specs, and it’s what one should expects for the price. However, among the inventory are ones with upgraded specs. Woot could have listed those – at a higher price – but instead, offers customers a chance to roll the dice and get one at the same lower price.

A lot of mixed yet similar inventory that needs to be moved.

So to be clear, no one is guaranteeing (or, if I’m reading it correctly, even offering) a separate graphics card, right? I’m not missing anything?

Yeah, I can totally understand a 17" laptop with graphics related specs… not a damn notebook with crap resolution, integrated gtx card and sub par specs. That is the fail, not the need for 17".

1 Like

I did the Dell 2 in 1 $170 dealand I’m pleased. It’s new quality, cute, storage space was on the lower end, but I just use a micro SD card in it. I’m happy.

woot.com: bringing the fun (and risk) of in-game loot boxes to online retailing!

1 Like

Was tempted to go for one of the Thinkpads the other day but then Amazon had the Samsung Chromebook Plus V2 on a flash deal for $329 so I grabbed one of those instead. Really nice computer for the price – can’t beat the display. Have to agree with the other criticism that this isn’t a very enticing deal, Woot.

I am all for catshirts.

On the other hand, that reminds me, I have to clean the catbox today. Oh, you said cat “shirts” I was thinking one letter less.

On this Dell, been thinking about it. Problem is, it’s like to be to a big (well, we know it’s going to be big, that’s why you buy a 17") low-end laptop. I don’t know how many people are in the market for that. People like gamers and media producers may want large laptops but need better specs. It’s true that older folks (like me) like having larger displays and larger fonts. So this is good for that. I’m at the point where I’m now using “reader” glasses to look at my laptops. Also if you are doing streaming media onto your laptop for watching, most of that content is only 720 or at most 1080, so really, it would be a perfectly watchable TV experience. So I guess not bad. Honestly I do like the “random luck” idea that you may get something better. Just don’t buy it expecting to get the “good one.” – I think they have been honest in trying to tell you that as many ways as possible. “what we are describing is basic crap. If you will be happy with that basic crap, please buy it, and maybe you will get less-crappy crap” Honestly I like the sales technique.

1 Like

I’m just curious what kind of stuff people receive in Woot’s “mystery” sales - especially the computer stuff. Thanks for the reply!

That doesn’t sound too bad. Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Just received mine. I usually only spring for the mystery shirts. I received the Ryzan 5 with 12 GB ddr4. It’s full hd. Light for a 17 and looks brand new. I’m happy with it.

1 Like

Just shy of $700. :smile_cat:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Inspiron-17-5775-Laptop-17-3-Screen-AMD-Ryzen-5-12GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-Windows-10-Home-i5775-A212SLV-PUS/921396098

Mine arrived yesterday. It’s a Ryzen 3 (was hoping for a 5 but oh well), 12 GB RAM, 1 TB drive and 1920x1080 screen. Case color is rose gold (wife is envious). Not a scratch on it anywhere and boots up without a hitch. Weighs about as much as a Volkswagen.

Only issue is Windows 10. It took quite a while to come up and it was slow while downloading a bunch of updates. No worries - I’m going to rip out the HDD, drop in an SSD and load it up with Linux anyway.

I’m satisfied with it for what I paid.

1 Like

Mine arrived today. It’s a Ryzen 3, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB drive and 1920x1080 screen. Case color is slate (Grey/Black).

Mine just showed up ryzen 5, 12 gb, 1 tb and 1920x1080 with backlit keyboard. pretty satisfied as long as it stands up.

2 Likes