Dell OptiPlex 3020 Gaming Desktop

Dell OptiPlex 3020 Gaming Desktop

1 Like

At the minimum specs this is a total ripoff. Look at todays Linus Tech Tips where they built a $500 system with RTX 2060 and 12th Gen CPU.

27 Likes

Thanks for your professional tip. Some of us arent up on the latest specs; I wouldve thought it was a good deal (although refurbished). Thanks for posting!

6 Likes

He speak true.

8 Likes

I really appreciate this post

3 Likes

Yup. Same as last time. 8 year old “gaming” PCs are NOT by any standards gaming PCs today.

2 Likes

Thought it might be a good deal for my kids first pc. But it arrived with screws rattling around inside. Upon inspection, the HDD was wedged in crooked with broken pins, and the SSD was cracked open. This wasnt shipping, it was just no effort. So, back it went, marketplace bought me a used omen with much more recent components for less.

4 Likes

Sure “gaming.” 750ti struggles to hit decent framerates at 720p in modern titles, if they even start due to the 750ti not supporting directx 12. Moght be ok for older titles or emulating ps2/gamecube and older consoles, but as someone else stated LTT uploaded a pretty nice 500 usd build and that extraa hundred bucks goes a long way.

2 Likes

I would like to dissent. A 750ti will run a 4K monitor at 60 FPS for older games like Team Fortress 2 if given enough CPU. The CPU could be the bottleneck here – a 4th gen i7 (while being the “magic” generation of Intel CPUs) isn’t going to give you a great experience. Check the minimum and recommended specs for games on Steam as a reference.

There is also the concern that you’re running a computer that is 7-9 years old. Capacitors fail over time. Depending on the uptime of the system, you might not have much life left in this computer. Since it is a Dell, you would have to replace a bad motherboard with another of the exact same type (and likely age).

uzimmermann is correct. If you have the knowledge to build your own PC (not many people do that anymore, sadly), you can do much better than this deal.

3 Likes

It’s not that this is a bad set of parts, but the price is just too high. Much better than the 3rd gen system last week, but still not worth it. You should be able to pick this up without GPU for 200.

2 Likes

SO… I ordered a similar Dell deal the last time they ran it as the video card was allegedly solid and for $400 it would have made a nice starting PC for my son. They literally sent me an 11 year old computer! The processor in it was from 2010! And its not from Dell - its from some refurbing company. Steer Clear. Its garbage.

3 Likes

www.pcpartpicker.com

If you want to build one of those 500 pcs, super helpful website to do it.

3 Likes

So the last one they had was a 3rd gen I7 which IS an 11 year old CPU and the RX550 is nearly worthless right now. If you got worst parts than that then I’d definitely raise a stir. The 4th gen I7s are really very good, but you can get them cheap.

This should be $100 less because it’s Dell (proprietary parts), and it should drop by $50 each time they rerun it.

That 760ti is end of life. No more game ready drivers. Just a couple years of security drivers left before support completely vanishes. Not worth this price.

2 Likes

Where’s the guy who said repeatedly that these should be donated to a school?

I definitely agree todays offering not a great deal. It’s possible to come up with a system similar to your specs, but it would take some luck and knowing what you’re purchasing for this to work- especially regarding the videocard from Ebay. I came close at about $550. The cheapest working RTX 2060 I could find on Ebay was about $200, the cheapest 12th gen I3 I could find was like $110, lga 1700 MB cost about $80, the min 8GB DDR 3200 memory $33, 240GB SSD $40 at the minimum 500 watt 80% efficient power supply $50 cheapest micro atx case $40. Of course this does not include Windows- but most gamers building a PC probably find their way around that expense.

1 Like

To put it all into perspective, a good video card is $399… or a whole lot more.

1 Like

Harrison Ford That Belongs In A Museum GIF

4 Likes

The OptiPlex line is meant to be a business workstation. I would be really hesitant to buy this as a “gaming desktop”, though it may certainly be functional as a “desktop that happens to play games”.

1 Like

And this one comes with a card worth $85…

I paid ~$600 for pretty much this setup with a 4th gen i5 8 years ago, new. $200 off is not a deal for used that needs a proprietary mobo, even with inflation. Mine’s been babied and is starting to show it’s age at this point, trusting a refurb that’ll need non serviceable parts is a fools errand.

3 Likes