Dell Optiplex 7460 AIO Intel i5 512GB

Dell Optiplex 7460 AIO Intel i5 512GB

Bought this last time it was available. Had high hopes because it suits my needs perfectly. However, this computer has serious issues regarding sleep/wake up from sleep. Roughly 5 times out of 10 when it goes to sleep after the sleep timer (default is 30 min), I could not turn it on without a complete power cycle i.e. unplug power cord. It would not respond to mouse or keyboard clicks, nor the power button.
All Windows Updates, Dell SupportAssist driver updates and UEFI/BIOS updates are up to date. Graphics driver and Intel RST driver (as suggested by the Dell.com troubleshooting steps on this very problem) are up to date too. But I am still having the same problem. The behavior is inconsistent, which is the worst part about debugging. I cannot tell you under exactly what condition it would die in sleep. But it definite can happen. YMMV. For me it’s been a total waste of time.

Remember that you have a 3year Dell warranty so make sure you get in touch with them for assistance.

Before doing that, register your computer to transfer ownership from us to you.

All Dell new and factory recertified products come with a Dell warranty. Most are one year or three years. You will need to transfer ownership to activate the warranty:

Go to https://www.Dell.com/support/assets-transfer/us/en/4#/Identify

1. Enter your service tag in the box and click continue.

2. Enter the following information in the appropriate fields:

Previous owner: Woot
          Zip: 75007

3. All other fields are optional and not required to process the transfer.

4. Click continue.

5. For “New owner details”, select the intended use from the drop down. Enter info on all required fields and click continue.

6. Review info and click continue.

7. Print or save the confirmation page.

Allow 5-7 business days for the ownership transfer to be processed. The confirmation screen from step 7 above is your proof in the event you need to support and have to supply proof of registration.

Warranty Service: If your New or Factory Recertified Dell computer needs service, please contact Dell Tech Support to create a case. Visit http://www.Dell.com/support/home/us/en/19 or call 1-800-822-8965

Not sure if it’ll help, BUT you might see what the power button is set to do when it is asleep. This little article should point you in the right direction.

I had a laptop that would go into hibernate mode or something and it seemed like I had to hold the power button to wake it…messing with these settings fixed it. Apart from the power key settings, you might just change the power and sleep settings altogether. Make it not go to sleep when plugged in, etc… I had another one that would turn off the wifi card when sleeping in battery mode… I didn’t like that as it dropped connections to stuff.