Dell OptiPlex 760 160GB SATA Desktop

Was using one for an HTPC/Media Center type machine and it worked ok. Only issues were that it got fairly hot when on for extended periods of time and also you are very limited in terms of upgrading the video card due to the fact that it has to be a “low profile card”. I ended up just putting in a full size desktop machine.

This isn’t a bad machine for basic web surfing or for a “kid machine,” but you can find them at off lease resellers with more RAM for less than $100. With 2GB, $50-60 is a fair price.

These HPs:

…look like they already have some hard drive and memory upgrades built in. Just something else to consider.

I use these for cash registers an inventory in a small business but I have not seen this particular model with better specs for less and I have been watching for these for several years. Could you provide a hint regarding the store where one could purchase these items with more RAM and an OS for less? I am not calling you out, I genuinely want to know.

Complete with anti-gravity mouse, apparently.

CAUTION!!!

Numerous folks have suggested adding a video card to this unit and I urge anyone who is planning on performing such an upgrade to proceed cautiously.

This chassis is small, not all video cards will fit. Also, you must consider what kind of PSU is in the unit as well.

I understand that the console-type chassis really lends itself to a mediacenter-type functionality. Just understand that you will need a bigger PSU and a very petite video card to make this work.

When you consider that a Licensed OEM Version of “Windows 7 Pro 64-bit” sells for $135… This is like getting a free computer for the price of the Operating System.

(P.S. A HTPC doesn’t need a power-hungry, high-end PCI card to render movies at 1920x1080p via HDMI. If that’s your use, avoid the urge to buy the latest, greatest 3D Gaming card. Go for an inexpensive or possibly used low-profile card).

Ebay has quite a few with 4gb RAM with starting bids lower than $100. I pick up off lease Dells and HPs with similar specs as these at Garland Computers for 60-80 usually, though I’m not sure if they’re specifically 760s. Microcenter has several Core2Duo off lease 2GB machines for <$100, so seeing one on Woot doesn’t excite me. erecycler.net has a storefront down the street from Garland Computers and I’ve picked up iMacs for a decent price, but their website sucks for checking inventory and you pretty much have to call or go by there.