Dell OptiPlex 760 160GB SATA Desktop

this is an optiplex 760 small form factor:

this is the desktop 760

http://i.dell.com/das/xa.ashx/global-site-design%20WEB/723fdd43-582d-7791-7cd8-d2811a68ec0e/1/OriginalPng?id=Dell/Product_Images/Dell_Client_Products/Desktops/OptiPlex_Desktops/OptiPlex_760/hero/desktop-optiplex-760-left-hero-504x350.png

your picture is of the small form factor, but the specs are for the desktop

Edit1: Assuming this actually a small form factor as there seems to be some confusion on this (see previous comments). Still good information to have.

I’m rocking an older version of this (Small Form Factor)SFF Desktop with 8GB memory (4gb is more than enough) and a low-profile AMD video card with 2gb VRAM and an HDMI out. The “low profile” is important obviously b/c a regular sized card will not fit or have the bracket included to mount the card in the PCI-E slot. It’s outputting 1080p to a high-res 50inch TV with zero issues. So long story short–makes for a great HTPC.

As a side note, take a look at software called “Plex.” It gives you a netflix like interface for your movie and TV files. Almost everyone at my work/friends use it. Good luck

We still have quite a few of these on our floor, unfortunately. They’re next to go along with the 580s and 620s.
That said, if you’re just looking for a machine to tinker with or do basic Internet browsing and Office app work on, these will work fine. Though I would HIGHLY recommend throwing another 2 gigs of RAM in there.
Also, you’re all smart enough to know refurb carries extra risk. They may have fixed two capacitors on the mobo, but the next 5 may bulge and blow in a month. Seven or eight year old hardware has a much shorter half life than new.

That is the mini-tower.

OK- you’re right MY bad!

This system is a good price for the performance given it’s geekbench scores:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?q=optiplex+780%20e7500

If you need OK performance at a very good price then it’s a deal. If it had gigabit ethernet, then I’d buy it and use it as a file server (I have extra hard disks lying around).

Plex is totally full of win. If you have a set top box (including Apple TV) and want to watch movies and TV from your files, Plex is hard to beat.

DisplayPort to HDMI adapters exist (Apple laptops use DisplayPort), but you may not get sound (which shouldn’t matter for you).

I don’t know about those two programs, but it will run powerpoint fine as long as you don’t embed big videos.

To follow up on a message posted further up this thread, if I did want to use this $99 computer to stream shows (from Xfinity online, Hulu, Netflix, etc) what exactly would I need to add/upgrade to make this work?
I used to have an old laptop hooked up to my home-office TV so I could get rid of my Comcast box and I was able to watch streaming shows just fine, until that old laptop died.
I was planning to pick up a cheap Chromebook at Walmart or the like, but this looks like a good alternative - I’d need to know exactly what I would NEED to add to this box to make that work - I’m not too picky about sound or display quality, this is just background noise while working from home (obvs. I have the display, I also have a wireless tiny keyboard/touchpad)

It looks like on the Optiplex 760 the display port is only video http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3513/t/19311486

It’s too bad with regards to a mediacenter. You may have been able to get by with not adding a videocard and just using an adapter to HDMI.

But can the Win7 even recognize 8gb? Would 2x2gb be the best upgrade?

Do you know if I can do Dual Monitors for this or I have to purchase a new video card?

WinXP only supported 4 GB. Win 7 pro can support 192 GB.

ok. But is the CPU in these units the SLGTE with VT-x or the SLB9Z with no VT-x? I am looking for a system that can do some virtualization.

Thanks guys that does answer my questions though now I’m hesitant to pull the trigger because of the sound. I’m running the HDMI to the projector which is 50 feet away then getting sound from the projector which then goes to the mixer (about 10 feet) so when displaying video from the computer we can hear it through the church speakers.

Not having the sound come from the HDMI means running another 50+ foot cable to the desktop to feed sound to the mixer. DOH!

What if I buy a separate Video card with HDMI and VGA or DVI, will I get sound from the HDMI like that?

Only if it’s 64 bit. Otherwise 4gb for 32 bit Windows 7.

Something like this would work. $29 free shipping. It comes with low profile bracket. This will carry sound also.

http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Low-Profile-PCI-Express-HD545XZQH2-HD-545X-ZQH2/dp/B005IUW7YE/ref=pd_cp_e_1#Ask

Does Win 7 pro come with Office?

No. It may come with a 30-day starter but not full Office.