DeLonghi Air Conditioners (Your Choice)

Cool (no pun intended). Thanks for the response. That was the deciding factor for us. Buying now. We won’t test the heat mode for a while ourselves.

I got the 14 btu unit for a second story bedroom in middle Ga. that regularly heats up to the upper 90’s with high humidity in the summer. It’s a bit loud but it works great and cools the bedroom down to reasonable levels within a couple of hours saving me from having to use the central air that cools a large unused area. I recommend it very highly. Also, I’ve used it every night for over a month and haven’t had any trouble with water accumulation. The humidity in the summer here Ga. is usually in the high 80’s or higher. It’s been dry this year, drought conditions, but the humidity is still up there. Couldn’t live without it now that I’ve tried it.

I’m only responding to portables in General. A lot of the complaints I’m reading here I experience on my 14k Honeywell unit.

I work from home and the “swamp cooler” doesn’t cut it in the basement level of a 3 level home.

Unfortunately I can’t work with this thing on. They’re loud. I do a telemarketing job from home and the “white” noise picks up through the ear piece on the headset so loud I can’t hear the customer. It is 20 plus feet away and partially blocked by a fridge.

The suggestion someone had of insulating the hose is great as just putting a blanket over the hose quiets the operation.

Instead, I get the room as cool as I can before work and run it only on breaks and lunch.

Yes they fill with water, especially if you’re running a swamp/evaporative cooler. In my desert state It probably would only need to be drained seasonally but I’ve got the hose into a bucket option going. If you’re in a humid state don’t bother buying it if you’re not going to run a hose out of it.

I too opted for this over central air but next year I’m going for a window unit instead, something with a super low db level. I vented mine out of one of those cat doors made for sliding glass windows, cat hates me but at least it’s cool in here. Don’t believe the hype on the two hose units, the one hose units work just fine.

How long does it take to cool off?

Yes

That would depend on the size of your room. Perhaps some of the current owners would chime in on their average cool times?

The hose that came with it doesn’t reach far at all. Be prepared to get creative with duct tape and dryer hose.

My local home depot doesn’t have anything that would be a perfect fit, but their website looks like they have something.