Delta Breez 80 CFM Fans - Your Choice

Anyone know about using this to replacement an existing unit? Or is this just for new construction?

4 inch duct is not the way to go.

If you can put in a 6 inch = QUIETER and more air out.

After reading all the comments here, I feel it’s necessary to point out that when it comes to bathroom fans, quieter is not always better. It comes down to personal preference - think about it.

I was concerned about the amount of light, but according to Grainger a 26W cfl gu24 bulb is 100W incandescent equivalent. It’s probably replacing a 60w incandescent, so this is will be awesome.

What’s with the “LED indicator light for cleaning”? Does that mean there’s a filter? Does that mean venting outside is optional?

SIGH. The installation instructions (404. Sorry, We can't seem to find the page you are looking for.) give no indication as to how to install this as a retrofit/replacement. They don’t even give an indication if this is made for such applications.

Guess I’ll have to pull our existing fan, or at least the grill and cover housing to see if the dimensions will match up as well as how hard it will be to remove our existing fan and install this fan housing.

Replacing a bath fan can be a fairly easy DIY project, but only if the manufacturer has designed it as a retrofit. If they’ve designed it for new construction only, installation may be difficult, if not impossible, to complete without tearing open part of the ceiling (assuming your fan is not accessible via an attic), which most of us prefer not to do

Different model. Woot is selling VFB080C4A1 and HD link is for the VFB25ACH

BTW, just noticed on the specs sheet for the fan-only version on the manufacturer’s website that this is UL rated for ceiling mount only. If you’re replacing a wall-mounted fan (like I am) you’ll probably want to pass. Will this work in a wall mount application? Maybe - depends on whether the air back flow preventer will automatically close when mounted vertically. You can also expect it to be louder, both initially, and most certainly over the long term as the bushings were presumably not designed for a wall mounted application. This manufacturer has other fans on their website that are UL rated for both ceiling and wall mounts so it’s not as if they just forgot to mention it.

Looking at the installations instructions (now linked on the sale), it looks like you just clean the grill. I don’t see a filter.

WARRANTY NOTE
We incorrectly stated the warranty as 1 year. It’s actually 3 years. Go forth and buy more!

Regarding energy efficiency…

1. The Delta guy in the video claims you could run it constantly for a year and the cost would be $5 or less. Yet the Energy cost figures (presumably for normal sporadic use) in the specs claim $8/9 (w/o lite / w/lite). What’s up?

2. Presuming the Energy cost figures are reasonable estimates, do they include the cost of pumping your conditioned (heated/cooled by your furnace) air outside? (The cost to reheat/recool your home.). If they do, these things aren’t nearly as painful to run as I thought!

We were about to go with the no brainer choice, Panasonic, but they cost a lot more.

At first I thought this “Delta” might be one in the same Delta plumbing/faucet company - and I’m not a fan of the plumbing Delta company products.

This “Delta” company appears to concentrate on electrical stuff. Since vent fans are unglamorous and should simply function reliably and without complaint for 10+ years, does anybody have real world experience with the durability of these?

Yup. Ceiling (horizontal) only. The question has been raised about this product at another website as well, and answered:
http://www.ventingdirect.com/delta-electronics-vfb080c4a1-breezgreenbuilder-80-cfm-exhaust-fan-0-8-sones/p1835824

ALWAYS remember that anytime a bath vent is installed, you MUST vent it outside and not just into the attic. If you vent it only into the attic, some SERIOUS problems can occur. Mold and wood rot are only two of the ‘nicer’ problems which would happen. btw, just because you might be replacing an existing fan, don’t assume it’s vented properly!

this is a good deal 80 CFM will work for any bathroom and give you additional power to run through longer vent run. .8 sonotones is very quite. a lot noisier 50CFM fan without light runs about this price normally. I just bought a louder 80 CFM for close to $100 at lowes.

The instructions don’t say much about replacement because (as the video sort of indicates) this is aimed at contractors and builders to be installed in new construction. It isn’t necessarily designed as a replacement, but I don’t see why it couldn’t be used as one.

I’ve been thinking about getting rid of the fan in my master bathroom, but I’m going to take a pass on this contractor grade model. (it’s probably also too small)

@rwlubbers, good advice. In our 1950s home we found the neatly installed (probably in the 1970s) vent fan was attached to nothing. It simply sucked the humidity up into the joist bay between the 1st & 2nd floors!

‘Leaky’ 1950s building practices likely helped give that humidity a place to eventually exit.

My grandparents house is the exact same, HOWEVER, they did the same with the kitchen exhaust. Pretty awesome to find your parents baby photos in the attic covered in 30 year old bacon grease.

Totally, inspect your vents if updating!

Will the fan/light version operate the light separate with a switch at the wall? In other words, can I turn on just the light if I don’t want the fan on every visit to the potty?

After reviewing the specifications and installation documents from the manufacturer website, it doesn’t seem that the light and fan can operate independently of one another. Maybe someone who has this fan can confirm for sure though.