Denier-Handal Petite Sirah (3)

We did sell a small amount to the LA Wine Co through a broker.

That sale was for a finite amount that quickly sold.

Actually our Home Vineyard is our Dry Creek Valley vineyard where we have always produced the Cabernet Sauvignon for Peter’s great wines. We also have Zinfandel, Sagrantino and Falanghina.

Due to changes in our lives we had to sell the Alexander Valley ranch. However, since Petite Sirah is our favorite grape we had to source a new supply in the interim while we plant PS in Dry Creek Valley. We have bud wood from the Alex. Valley ranch and will graft later this year… we hope.

The Venturi Family is now in several generations into their winegrape growing. They dry farm wonderful grapes organically about 4o miles due north of our exAsti vineyard also in a similar valley along the Russian river just north of Ukaiah California. Similar conditions as someone mentioned.

The result is a wonderful wine.

The 2014 Ps, just bottled, and 2015 PS still in barrel, are just along exceptionally well, thank you!

Oh good…I’ve got 4 of them waiting for pickup at a local store.

And I changed the definition in CT to match as well.

Oh, cool…thanks for the run down! I figured something strange was going on since I remember you (lovely) home being in DCV, not further north.

So 2014 and 2015 will be from this Mendocino source? Is Peter going to continue making wine for you?

Round 2(+): The bottle was recorked overnight, left standing upright so the surface exposed to air was fairly small. I poured a small taste (yeah, right - “small”) and offered some to DW. She agreed that letting the wine open up was a great idea; if we had a decanter here we would likely have used it to let this wine do its thing. Still long on the finish, and I’m getting more of the flavors and aromas that are in the write-up now.

Two thumbs up!

Did Peter make the '14 & '15 vintages?

I have always found that, yes, a young PS takes a while to open up. But… that’s what is cool about them. You can try them right when you open up. Then, your mouth adjusts and the wine reacts to finally being free. Once it’s opened up for a bit, it’s fun to think about the difference. A good Petite forces you to think about what you’re drinking.

So I re-corked it overnight, had a small taste while cooking dinner and finally drank with my filet steaks, homemade fries and seasoned broccoli. It’s in much better shape tonight, not nearly the alcohol smell or taste. Definitely taste fruit up front and pepper at the end. The dark fruits stays in my mouth for the entire sip/taste, which is really lengthy. It’s a good 15+ seconds after the last bit goes down my throat.

Thank you woot for the golden ticket, this was a great wine to guinea pig, I enjoyed it despite not being a huge fan of PS.

Info post:
All tasting notes for this wine have been cross posted into CT under user name wine.woot_taster. User names have been removed to protect the guilty. PM me if you want your tasting note removed or user name added back.

Thanks and back to the wineing.

Is this what I bought on your rec awhile back for $7.99? Not home to check.

Edit: Yep, the 2012. Looks like my cost was $9.00 all in. Didn’t think I had entered in CT but there it was.

You got it.
We have found them a couple places local to Southern California.

'10 cab LAwineCo $9.99
'11 PS LAwineCo $9.99
'12 PS wine of the month club $7.99
'13 PS LAwineCo $9.99
'13 zin LAwineCo $9.99 (I could be wrong on vintage)

It’s the 2012