Derby #261: The Internet Through Art History

I think that means no pop culture.

edit: slow azz me.

So back to the theme. How is this different from a meme derby, but using art movement styles? It seems like that is how it’s going to turn out anyway…

I have wondered the same thing… where is the Number 5 derby? Maybe this mysterious derby change is related to shirt’s recent birthday.

Changes that will not disappoint me:

-More than 24hrs between announcement and submission
-No thumbnail based voting
-All entries fogged

As for this week’s derby…I got nothin’ so far.

Over/under on the number of lolcat entries: 24

Yeah i reckon we’ll see a lot of cats. I hope we see some more interesting original designs though.

I’m drawing blanks at the moment though :frowning:

low side…

So, getting back to wild speculation;
Tgentry mentioned some time in the past that the derby results are as good as certified by COB Monday. This has helped production in getting ready for the Friday prints. I’m on the fence on whether they would make a change that would upset this condition, but I’m hopeful.

!!!Legal Rant!!!

Ideas can’t be copyrighted. Ideas, and only certain types of ideas at that, can be patented.

Also all works of art (including every meme ever spawned on the net) is copyrighted under U.S. law. Copyright begins from date of creation of all works.

More accurately the ban should be on registered copyrighted and trademarked works.

!!!End Legal Rant!!!

I came here to say something along the same lines. You can’t copyright an idea. If you could, I would have copyrighted the idea of copyrighting ideas a long time ago, and I’D BE RICH!

Regarding the copyright thing… pop culture is allowed. It’s hard to do a derby about the Internet without it. I think what we’re trying to get across there is, if we think it’ll get us sued, we’re rejecting it. Simple. So using copyrighted images, text, character names, etc… puts our lawyer hackles up and can get you rejected. I’m not sure about the idea bit there, as I agree, you can’t copyright an idea. But you get the point.

This is a difficult one, since even “All your base are belong to us” is copyrighted text from a copyrighted video game.

Interesting…

isn’t this a standing rule for every derby? stating this rule specifically for this derby (when it usually goes without saying) sort of implies there’s something different about it … is there?

Naah… woot wouldn’t do that. They’d prolly do SmartTrebuchet- a series of trebuchets that occasionally have to cross state lines via petards.

Regarding the theme- since internet memes are not copyrighted (at least, most of them like monorail cat aren’t), I predict a lot of those.

this post seems to imply copyright lasts forever. i was under the impression it does not. however, everything created during the internet age is new enough that it should still be under copyright protection.

also, i have read that the u.s. follows the berne convention, which holds that works still enjoy copyright protection even if not registered (although copyright is easier to defend if it is registered), so the ban shouldn’t be only on works with registered copyright.

I think it discourages people from using things like logos (AOL, etc) or specific copyrighted names.

I imagine there will be a lot of entries referencing specific companies and websites, so they’d like to minimize the number of rejectionable entries.

Agreed! I like this idea much-ly.

How about blind? No names listed on entries or on comments? That could be interesting…

That would unfortunately lead to much anonymous sniping as well as people who post designs that mimic popular/successful artists. I think, just like campaign finance reform, shining a light onto who’s doing what discourages the roaches from running the show.

But I would be all for an Editor’s Choice award every week, where they give it to the most meritorious design that didn’t get printed (possibly to someone who hasn’t gotten printed in a long while too). Dunno, but will be interesting to see what happens.

So people who get their design in first win, because I’ll do 30 seconds to vote for 6 designs, but not 13.3 Minutes to vote for the AWESOME one that went up on Tuesday afternoon.

Makes less sense for people, like me, who check every 4-6 hours. I’d have to spend like 5 minutes viewing the first submission by the time voting closes.