Derby #32: Line Art

Considering the huge amount of public domain woodcut and other line art, I think it would be helpful if Woot made a rule about use of clipart for this derby…

I’m wondering that too. If you did the pipes in line (not fill) then it would be line art. Do some line shading and perhaps it would qualify (O M G, Patch! Do a version of the rose with this kind of implementation!)

Hmm. Maybe if I can get my scanner to work…

100% agree. If you didn’t draw it, we shouldn’t see it.

I’m doing a series to go along with that rose in that kind of style… i might include one or two in this derby, gives me an incentive to work on it. cause really, its a thickend version of the pen and ink drawing, after all, the nibs can produce pretty thick/varied thickness lines when you use them right… isnt that the point of pressure sensitive tools?

I also agree. Joel, please add “no clipart” to this as well. Yes, vector packs count as clipart.

Will we be able to use these “Simulated” half-tones that I use all the time?

I don’t think that is line art.

Hear Hear… it would be far too easy to plop something on a shirt with this one… and difficult to sort through just where it came from.

Good idea… CAD is awesome! This derby might be a bit much for my amateur simplistic style… I might give it a shot though. We will see :slight_smile:

I don’t agree. I don’t have access to a scanner or tablet but I might be able to crank out some line art on Inkscape. I would hate to not be allowed to participate based on my lack of funds…

…cat tornado! :'D

I think drawing on Inkscape isn’t what he meant. He meant, don’t download a woodcut/clip art online and plop it on a shirt. You should be good =)

I hope this is the case. It’s hard to compete against an artist who worked for weeks or months on an image when you have only a day or two (or in my case a couple of hours). Adding insult to injury is that that refined image is being submitted by a person who did none of the work on it and would reap all the benefit. I usually don’t mind clip art, but I think this is a derby that should exclude it.

I see this now… and I would vote/buy/own it. :wink: Go for it, Zenne! =D

Exactly… anythign on your entry should be your own creation… regardless of what media it was created in…

Well, I take this as a direct comment on the type of shirts that woot wants to sell. To me, it looks like they intentionally limited it to line art, because it takes a much higher level of artistic skill to make quality (any definition you want) single color line art. I almost see this as the anti-cute derby, the anti-downloadable brush stroke derby, the anti-colorful abstracts derby, and, ultimately, the anti-amateur derby.

Are old derby entry that did not place re-enterable?

amazing. This one color rule is great.

Wouldn’t the glass look almost the same as line art? Outlines for the ripples, line shading or crosshatching for the water.