Derby #321: Text as Art (plus bonus Bag Derby)

Cool idea! I’m definitely in. :slight_smile:

Anything goes? Would something like my Drink Coffee shirt be acceptable, or does the text have to form a picture?

Go check out the link in the description to see what was done in the past…
Text as art is referring to text creating a piece of art, not text for the sake of text.
Your drink coffee, would be closer to logo, signage or communicative art, not text art, where the text is secondary to the image that it is incorporated within.
Staff, please correct me if I am off base…

I subbed this as a daily, four days before Vorpal Sword was printed (GMTA). Glad I held onto it and have been too busy to shop it around elsewhere!

I still need to settle on a color/palette, though, as I like several:

Thoughts?

(Also, I’ve spell-checked it three times, and made sure the nonsense words (like “Wabe”) are ‘correctly’ spelled.)

I mean, they just did that vorpal sword using the same text.

I realize this (it’s the poem “Jabberwocky”), but the powers that be hinted I might want to hang on to the design for a near-future derby. I assume this is the one they were thinking of.

[QUOTE=lyonscc, post:5, topic:395770]
I subbed this as a daily, four days before Vorpal Sword was printed (GMTA). Glad I held onto it and have been too busy to shop it around elsewhere!

I still need to settle on a color/palette, though, as I like several:

Thoughts?

I like the design colors on the brown shirt, but how does that palette look on the cranberry shirt? I’d rather wear cranberry, blue (even navy) or silver than the brown, slate/asphalt or black colors.
p.s. LOVE the dragon!

Yes, I’m familiar with the poem. My point was that the recency of this printing may hurt your ability to get votes. If I had bought the Vorpal Sword shirt, I don’t think I’d want another shirt with the same poem, unless I was a huge Lewis Carroll fan.

The design itself is good, but I think some of it is extremely difficult to read. It does look good, though.

Here’s a cool idea… a Tar (wait for it) dis… no parody, no concept, just a Tardis

Oh, you’re doing that too? I guess I’ll have to just do a crow.

With pop culture being fair game, I wanna start a Tardis betting pool. Here are the rules:

1. You can’t do a Tardis yourself.
  2. Guess how many tardises will be subbed, to be counted on Monday at noon CST.
  3. whoever is closest to the correct number gets a vote on their sub(s) from all other betting participants.
  4. It’s kind of on the honor system, and also kind of a joke, so you know, everyone be cool, this is for fun.

I’m guessing there will be 4, count 'em 4 tardises by monday.

My guess is 3!

My guess is six, three will be mine, jk!

Ok, I say 2. I think we’ll have some duplicate guesses though…

sigh

http://cdn3.theshirtlist.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/TARDIS-Shaped-Expansion-Shirt-511x640.jpg

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/200H/i/2012/186/1/9/tardis_typography_by_saturntraveler-d562oas.jpg

Can the next shirt derby be about time? Clocks, watches, etc…

EDIT: Sigh, no Tardises (Tardii?) though.

ok then,

1. if multiple people guess the correct number or the closest number, all of them get votes from all other betting participants, including each other.

2. If someone guesses 0 and is correct, I’ll do a happy dance.

I really don’t think it matters a bit whether the source poem has been printed recently. When I vote for a design, I don’t check the catalogue for recent prints. Neither do most voters.

As far as the colors are concerned, I like the right hand three–especially the greens on slate and the fall colors on black.

…just my two cents.

Question: Does it have to be a font, or can we do hand drawn type?