Derby #374: Famous Quotations

Cute idea. I’m… not a huge Edison fan >.< But I think this design would work well.

I’ll be honest, I’m a little bummed at this. I mean, yeah, people would have probably done the wibbly wobbly timey whimey quote, but there were so so many other clever things he said that would have been pretty epic in illustration.

This should be a fun derby. I love clever designs and I’m a bit of a quote hoarder, so I’ll be looking forward to seeing what comes of this.

Btw, Eleanor Roosevelt had some pretty epic quotes >.> Just sayin’.

Travis has threatened to reject things he thinks will get us sued, SO JUST WATCH OUT, even though an all Simpsons quotes derby is probably my ideal.

Thanks. Apparently the first time I tried to link it, the Imgur address was something woot considers a bad word. Ha!

You choo-choo-Choose Me?

Easy way to check if quotes are in the public domain? I have ideas that are more obscure than simpsons but who the hell knows how copyright works these days.

If the person died over 70 years ago, and it isn’t Peter Pan, usually that’s a good marker of public domain. Wikiquote can probably help you too.

Just curious, has woot been sued over a design yet?

Thanks no1. And that’s definitely a funny idea… not sure if I can execute it, but I’ll experiment…

Thanks! See below:)

yup!

Thanks Nitetigrezz! No1’s idea is good…I’ll try it, though I can’t quite visualize it looking right on a shirt atm.

I think there was something about Batman as a chess piece that they had trouble with. I’ve only been buying shirts for about a year, but I’ve occasionally seen the shirt that was for sale “disappear” from the site and they change the day’s shirt to “Nothing to see here” like they do with the Random 2 pack day.

Sued maybe isn’t the right word, but we have gotten a few C&Ds in our time.

Aren’t those fun! XD

Seriously though, this is why I say we, the civies, usually don’t know all the inner-workings of copyright laws and what you guys are dealing with behind the scenes. It’s easy for folks to blow a gaskit and go ape-crap on a decision from the Rejectionator without taking two seconds to think about what might really be going on >.<

So- is there a market for a “Zero Charisma, Sinus Supremus” shirt?

:wink: It’s on my shirt-craft bucket list.

i think you may have to be over 40 to get it.

o.o wait, what?

No offense to the Dr. Who fans out there but…THANK YOU GODS OF THE WOOT-IVERSE!!!

But I’m not over 40… /cries.

…to be shortly followed up by an all-Who derby ~dodges the rotten vegetables~

uh … let me rephrase that.

i think you mite have to be over … uh … thirty … five? to get that.