Derby #41 Cyberpub: On the rooftops shouting out

We like ya. Come talk to us. Of course all friendly derby discussion is welcome too. :slight_smile:

[i]Popular culture (aka pop culture) deemed as what is popular within the social context — that of which is most strongly represented by what is perceived to be popularly accepted among society. Otherwise, popular culture is also suggested to be the widespread cultural elements in any given society that are perpetuated through that society’s vernacular language or lingua franca. It comprises the daily interactions, needs and desires and cultural ‘moments’ that make up the everyday lives of the mainstream. It can include any number of practices, including those pertaining to cooking, clothing, consumption, mass media and the many facets of entertainment such as sports and literature. (Compare meme.) Popular culture often contrasts with a more exclusive, even elitist “high culture,”, that is, the culture of ruling social groups. The earliest use of “popular” in English was during the fifteenth century in law and politics, meaning “low”, “base”, “vulgar”, and “of the common people” 'til the late eighteenth century by which time it began to mean “widespread” and gain in positive connotation.

Pop culture finds its expression in the mass circulation of items from areas such as fashion, music, sport and film. The world of pop culture has had a particular influence on art from the early 1960s on, through Pop Art. When modern pop culture began during the early 1950s, it made it harder for adults to participate. Today, most adults, their kids and grandchildren “participate” in pop culture directly or indirectly.[/i]

(from Wikipedia article on Pop Culture)

Looks like they made your derby theme spryte. I know you proposed that before.

I call dibs on alphabet soup! :slight_smile:

I don’t even know what to make. It would have been cool if you didn’t have to do the whole alphabet, but I guess it makes it more interesting.

I really don’t understand what we are supposed to do for derby #42, though I like that they gave us more time. Edit: figured it out from the entry in the blog.

No way. That’s what I called it when I suggested it.

The theme reminds me of one of my favorite books “Ella Minnow Pea.”

Sorry, I called dibs first after the theme was announced… pthpthpthpthphhhhh!! :slight_smile:

Here’s my entry:

http://www.amakihi.org/mrJock.jpg

used wikipedia for pangram, ey?

Think I’d get probation for using the one starting with “Quack: XL VD…”??

Actually I didn’t need to google or wiki for this… I knew this from a long time ago. I have a cartoon that goes with it, to be honest, that’s about 10 years old. Too bad they didn’t have THAT as a contest… Was going to see if I could convert the cartoon using the text, but the lynx was pretty complex…

The advantages of your advanced age are abundant!

I thought we could draw images + the text? Hmmm… I’m thinking along the lines of Chicka-Chicka-Boom-Boom. But with a beach & water, of course.

from the previous cyberpub…

Best. Qote. bing, you win! :slight_smile: I hope he keeps his failure stench away from you.

Here’s my totally not pg-13 idea. I know I can’t make it, but it fits the theme:

500x700

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh158/Schrobblehead/Hangman.jpg[/img]

but you deleted it before I could see it! :frowning:

just having linking issues. it works now.

Lolz. That wasn’t very nice of me, though. I should be nicer.

Schrobbs, make it a stick-figure duck!

not sure how that would work. it would get rejected anyways. I could use the same missing letters and have a cleaner phrase below and maybe not get rejected.

Yeah, I dunno how it would work, either. I think I really liked the idea of hangduck though.

If I make it, it will be a duck. I will more likely play grand theft auto IV and make no shirt at all. I’d rather start on one for the next derby and spend lots of fruitless energy on that one.

Mmm… fruit-flavored energy.