Derby #42: Join the Revolution!

Having a week to work on this derby was cool, but I think I went a little overboard… here’s a link to my blog where I’ve posted my designs. If anyone’s interested, I’d appreciate some feedback.

http://toeillustration.blogspot.com/2008/05/shirt-woot-derby-entries-for-join.html

Mucho Gracias

please post comments in this forum. thanks!

I really really like “Give Peace a Chance.” Definitely going to be getting my vote.

Don’t be so sure about the lack of cute…

(Edit: please vote!)
http://s3.amazonaws.com/wootdesigncontestentries/eHalcyon/When_Pets_Unite-afeatm-s.jpg

It’ll be a pet revolution!

I like the first one - I’m on a “family crest” kick lately, probably because I’m watching a series about a Scottish chieftain and his clan, and I like the “hack the planet” one.

Hammy’s looking better all the time! :slight_smile:

So… Just want to make sure… Are we allowed to use text?

yes.

That’s awesome! :slight_smile:

Still putzing around with an old idea, new execution… Is center placement (pictured) better or should it be lower right?

It’s a big design, so I think center works better. If you don’t mind me asking, how did you do the grunge-ish effect with the colouring?

The grunge thing has been a long time coming, and others still do it much better than I. Originally I was inspired by annie22’s shirt, and got some advice from her, I’ll pass it on. The trick is to find a nice texture (tree bark, sand, graphite lightly sketched on rough paper) and bring the contrast way up. I then import it into illustrator and I livetrace it leaving the result black and white (checking the ‘do not include white’ option). I save the file as a .pdf so it stays in vector.

I open the vector in photoshop, sizing it appropriately. I then import it into my file, and select the black areas or the non-black areas using CTRL+the layer with my .pdf. I then select the layer I want to put the distressing on, and I simply press delete (it clears all of the color inside my selection.)

If this is unclear (lot of steps, and I’m sure i’m not doing things the most efficient way possible) then pm me and I can clarify. Also, if you pm me your email, i’ll send you the .pdf file i use.

Hope that helps!

I was thinking that you’d set the eraser to a special brush and do it manually, but that sounds much better. I know my way around Photoshop, Illustrator not so much. But I’ve got the general idea - I think I can do it all in photoshop. Thanks!

I think you could do what he said by taking an image in photoshop, raising the contrast as he suggested, then select everything of that color and convert to a path… I’d have to play around a bit to see if it would be just that easy.

If I was only doing it once, converting to a path probably wouldn’t be necessary. I should be able to just select highlights/shadows. I’ll see if it works soon.

This is a very nice design, but besides woot not being able to print to the edges of the garment, they also can’t print very fine lines. Referring specifically to the shading of the hand and arm. Read all about line thicknesses on derek’s unofficial rules page (link is posted at the beginning of this forum). On that note, can somebody post a link to the shirt.woot FAQ? I’ve never been able to find it (if it does exist). Thanks much.

Woot only links to the shirt FAQ when they’re accepting derby entries (friday through wednesday) does someone have that link address saved?

I’ve spent the week procrastinating my other projects and working on a design inspired by the classic American Revolution painting, The Spirit of 76. i’ve got it pretty darn close to how I want it. The no faces, feet, or hands is on purpose.

I’m really impressed with the other entries planned for this week, I really look forward to seeing everything everyone has been working on!

Still not quite done yet, but I will like another’s opinion. Am I going the right route?

I really liked this when the “parent” of this shirt was submitted to a previous derby. Honestly, I preferred the other shirt (not a big fan of fists on shirts), but alas to resubmit you need to change it enough to justify. However, I do still like the image (I am not trying to insult you or anything). For some reason I think that guy in a suit, with hiss coat casually behind his back but with a gas mask on really neat! Center placement looks great. Good luck!

EDIT: Does woot turn the word great (meaning good) into grate (as in get on my nerves). I posted it, saw the misspelling of great, went to change it and saw that I had it write. I normally don’t mind the filters, but woot is making it look like I don’t know the differences between great/grate. At least they don’t substitute two for too, though if I screw it up, I can blame a filter.

Re-EDITED: They do! Ack!

The FAQ is reachable by the “what is woot?” tab at the top of the page. If you mean another FAQ, I have no idea and I should probably read it. XP