Derby #457: Zen

hey fattopfrank, i currently specialize in wayfinding and signage myself. it’s a niche market so it’s always nice to meet others.

edit: and btw, i saw your beer shirt in the wild in downtown oakland

As you know it is a VERY niche market. It’s hard to find help. There aren’t many people that are interested in the industry. Even fewer that are familiar with the industry. The sad thing is that most people interested in design don’t fully realize that the sign industry is more than just signs. The main thing I do all day is draw… My designs are all over the country and overseas and to me that’s awesome. And thanks for finding my beer shirt in Cali… I’ve ran into one person so far with the shirt on and it was a great feeling. Plus we were at a beer fest so, needless to say we’d both had a few!

true. the thing about that, is that i have only seen a couple of my projects in person because i don’t get to travel to see them. i haven’t even seen a picture of some of them :stuck_out_tongue:

and then there are the projects i’ve been on for 5 years and are still not done.

The long never ending projects kill me. The fact that they sit idle for a long period of time waiting on someone else’s response or god forbid an engineer is involved. In the mean time I’ve worked on 500 other projects. Then the phone rings or an email comes in and I’ve got to turn my memory on, back to the big project. (for me recently, it’s a project at the new Atlanta stadium; with engineers) It’s nice to know I’m not the only one who deals with that crap.

@ kaedex99-
Aww, sounds like you’ve got a great little fam! And I know that look well… people suck. But whatever… more kitty love for us! :slight_smile:

That bums me out. I was looking forward to a derby without any Minions.

Hi, I’m Kristi. I’m from Ohio and live in Texas now. I’ve been married 7 years. I got a business degree and work for a charity, but I’ve always doodled and liked being creative.

I always wanted to be an artist, but I didn’t think I was good enough to do it as a career. Woot lets me be creative on my terms, without feeling like I have to be perfect.

Well, no one wants to know any more about me…

except that I’m a chix. :wink:

My name is Jackson and I’m from the San Francisco bay area. I started doing graphic design as a hobby about 5 years ago and have since made it into a large part of my life. I’m at an art school in the Digital Media department, so a lot of my work is for shows that other departments put on.

Because I also have a background in stage tech and have connections from when I was doing acting locally, I also do a lot of graphics, animation, stage management, and theatre tech for live shows in San Francisco, most notably with the San Francisco Opera Guild.

At the community level, even if she’s getting paid, it practically classifies as volunteer work. -:stuck_out_tongue: I had dreams of working for Cirque du Soleil a while back, but all that fizzled in the face of family issues and my own motivations. All good, though! Thanks for the kind words; getting back into a creative mode has been an uphill battle, but I have mostly good days of late. -:]

Here is that recipe for the soup. I’ve made it … SO many times. In fact, I have the ingredients to make it right now. -:open_mouth: Cutting those carrots can be a major pain, so I buy 1 lb. bags of sliced carrots from Wal-Mart and use about 1 1/2 bags in a double recipe (since you lose product in the stems when you cut them fresh); the time saved it worth the extra price, in my opinion. Pretty easy recipe (depending on your blending capabilities), and SO GOOD with deli sandwiches.

I’ve been really off games for a while now, actually, since I’ve been concentrating on design work. Last game I played was Tales of the Borderlands, I think? But I haven’t gotten to the last two chapters. -:confused: I’m a huge fan of the Arkham games, but I had a bad feeling about Arkham Knight from the early trailers and held off. Been watching it on YouTube with my brother and, man, I’m glad I did. It’s such a departure from the previous games, and I can’t sta~nd most of the dialogue. I have a lot of issues with that game, actually – regardless of how pretty it is. Once I get my new computer built, though, I’m hightailing it into Shadow of Mordor and the Witcher series. That’s my plan, anyway. -:stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, and there’s a link to my Flickr account in my signature. It has a few of my Theatre poster designs. -:] Party on, btw.

Hah! Nice to find someone else with similar background. -:] Break them legs, buddy.

Yeah, I’m sorry I screwed that up, I was a little preoccupied on my final destination that trip. Next time I’ll definitely give you more advanced warning.
Since I’m here, I might as well introduce myself. My name is Carl and I’m a Minnesota boy currently transplanted in Oklahoma. I haven’t taken an artistic art class since high school. Since then I’ve been a translator in the army, a mall security guard, a bouncer, a kitchen designer for a Menards, which is an upper Midwest version of Lowes and Home Depot. Working at Menards showed me a liked architectural design, so I became a drafter and a store planner for Menards, which is where I taught learned photoshop and 3D design. I liked designing stores, but not my bosses, so I got a job with an architectural/engineering firm, which led to my current job as an engineering drafter.
I’m a huge fan of mid century design and Kurt Vonnegut and love traveling, something I picked up in the army, I guess.

Super fun thread!

My name is Travis- I live in South Carolina with my wonderful wife and two perfect kids, where I teach elementary art. I also write, or try too, and currently am working on a book which I am almost finished with!!!

Art wise, I mainly paint, mixed media mostly, but also love printmaking and photography-

I like board games and cats and reading and movies and general geeky things. I also like karaoke- :wink:

Oh, hey! My name is Steve. I like long walks on the beach and cuddling…whoops, wrong site. (kidding). Yes, my name is Steve and I’m a graphic designer. I’m originally from RI but married my beautiful wife and moved to MA. I have two amazing kids and when I have free time I’m a gamer and an major movie buff.

I’m relatively new to Woot but it’s a blast entering the derbies and seeing the amazing art that all of you create. As far as designing, I’m a MAC guy who mainly uses Illustrator and Photoshop. I love all things pop culture and I love to create art. Hopefully I’ll get to know all of you here at Woot in the future.

If there is anything else you’d like to know, feel free to ask.

Hey my wife’s name is Taylor, haha. And thank you! It’s been pretty amazing becoming a father. You have an awesome goal, by the looks of your work you’re well on your way there. You’ve got some really great work on your site. The critique sub is a great idea, I haven’t had a chance to look at it yet but I think that would be useful for a lot of us.

Haha! Seriously, although I guess I’m technically from the Monterey Bay, but I had a feeling you were talking about SF.

Hey! Another Ezra. My wife said the name was too uncommon but I swear I’ve met and have heard of more Ezra’s since my son was born. Congrats btw! I know exactly what you mean about your new hobby, it’s crazy how they just come into your life and consume it (in a good way of course).

Being slow and meticulous isn’t a bad thing. You should do the dailies! I just figure being somewhat proficient in both would really let me flex my creative muscle. Sometimes I feel stuck because I get a good idea and drawing on paper but then it feels so flat when I start adding color in photoshop. Just gotta keep learning and getting better.

That’s crazy man. Well at least you got to experience it and you’re fortunate enough to still be doing something you love. I probably watched the episode you were on, haha. The sign industry doesn’t sound so bad. See, that’s the trick for me, having new challenges. That’s part of the reason the derbies are so awesome.

That’s exactly how I’ve always felt and I love woot for that reason. They give you a topic, you brainstorm and see what your pencil spits out. Doesn’t get any easier than that, haha.

Haha, what? We’d love to know more.

Hey someone else from the Bay Area! Invitation goes out to you too! haha.

That’s awesome. That’s quite the career path, sometimes you find answers in the weirdest ways.

Hey that’s awesome! Care to share a little more about said book? What’s your favorite board game?

Ha! You’re a movie buff eh? I thought I was too, then I met my wife, haha. I’m with you on that last part, I’m hoping to get to know more people that submit their art here. It’s actually been super fun to read people’s stories on here. Makes you appreciate everything a lot more.

I was at the Presidio for a year and a half. I still have nightmares about running on those hills.

I don’t currently teach as a profession, although it seems like I am always teaching someone something (sales reps are the worst when it comes to retention). My degree is in Art Ed. Not many jobs when I was looking. It’s such a volatile job anyway.
I am too busy to really play hardcore. I play some golf and puzzle games on my phone. On my DS I just finished Fantasy Life and I am thinking of snagging another Zelda or Lego Jurassic park. I enjoy RPG and puzzle. I really like old school RPG like mana and breath of fire. I love a video game with beautiful artwork.
Thanks for the props on my work. I hope to continue to grow. Flash is fun, but I just couldn’t get into it…

did this thread turn all kinds of colors for everyone else or is it just my computer?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bdcwire-static-content/uploads/2015/01/qy0BB0R.gif