Derby #48 Cyberpub: Follow the white rabbit

As always, friendly derby discussion is also welcome.

No quotes this week. Sorry, there’s a woot-off.

Hi Spryte!

DERBY 48: BUGS!

Whether they’re insects, spiders, centipedes, or scorpions, the kind of bugs we’re talking about have a couple of things in common: they have a lot of legs, and you don’t want them in your pantry. They don’t have to be real: feel free to imagine insectoid robots, or spidery aliens, or humanoid lice wearing people clothes, or the bugs of a post-apocalyptic future. They can crawl or fly or swim. But we’re not talking about any other meaning of “bug”: computer bugs, or audio bugs, or bugging people, or bugging out, or even our own Dave Bug. We’re looking for the creepy crawly kind.

No text once again.

===

WOOHOO! I already got several insects in the ol’ design stable!

Once again fellas if you wanted to use real shirt template there’s a new one up at this thread. GL to everyone and will be excited to see all the new entries.

Good luck to you too, Cho. I’m looking towards to what you’ll come up with here. And grats on getting the squirrels in the fog!

Re: convo at end of last Cyberpub…

Skek, the CheRoach would totally work. And would the vertical combs be better on the wearer’s right or left? I think I prefer left, although you said right… any particular reason for that?

Only that I have a shirt that has a design on that side (left if you look at the shirt). It’s unique since most designs that are vertical are on the right side looking at the shirt. That’s all.

Watching Season 1 of Flight of the Conchords. I love that show.

Maybe that’s why I prefer it on the left (right looking at it). I’ve seen it more often and have been brainwashed…

I haven’t watched the actual shows, though I’ve seen most of the “music videos” from the shows. Has there been a second season?

You’re so beautiful, you could be a part-time model…

So far, there’s only one. But here’s info about 2. My favorite is “If you’re into it”.

“On August 17, 2007, HBO announced a second season for Flight of the Conchords, originally set to premiere in 2008[6], but which may be postponed to 2009. Prior to the announcement, Jemaine Clement stated in an interview with The New Zealand Herald, “they [HBO] are interested in doing another series but we have to think about it. It’s not a definite offer but they have talked about us starting writing but we’ve got other things we want to do as well”.[7] Bret McKenzie has stated in several interviews that the band has used up “97 percent” of their old songs in the first series. In an interview with The Star Ledger, he said “We’d need some time to develop new material. It’s like the second album syndrome. It might take a lot longer”.[8] Shortly after the renewal announcement, Clement stated in an interview that the second season would likely consist of fewer than twelve episodes “so they could concentrate on ‘quality not quantity’”. McKenzie and Clement plan to write for the second season in Wellington, New Zealand, before they return to New York City in 2008 for filming.[9] The band subsequently announced via their official myspace.com blog that the second season is in production and set to premiere in January 2009.”

New place. But…that means…
I wonder if I can convince Kenney to keep his sig FOR-EVAR.

Argh, wrong thread. Shirt deleted.

http://www.amakihi.org/pucker.gif

Going topless, eh?

edit:
I’m me
Me be
Goddamn
I am
I can
Sing and
Hear me
Know me
If you want to destroy my sweater
Pull this thread as I walk away
Oh no
It go
It gone
Bye-Bye (Bye!)
Who I
I think
I sink
and I die
Pull this thread as I walk away (as I walk away)
Watch me unravel ill soon be naked
Lying on the floor, lying on the floor
I’ve come undone
Pull this thread as I walk away
Watch me unravel i’ll soon be naked
Lying on the floor, lying on the floor
Ive come undone
I don’t want to destroy your tank-top
Let’s be friends and just walk away
Hate to see you lyin’ there in your Superman skivvies
Lying on the floor, I’ve come undone

Isn’t that special?

Verticalized:

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/4531/beescomppv9.gif

Four colours. Probably the least I’ve ever used in a design. By the way, there are 42 visible honeycombs. :slight_smile:

Edit: Err… alphabet derby only saw two colours, and the slogan derby had a two-colour limit. I forgot about those. XP

Edit again:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3070/bedbugnq5.gif

Not sure if I’ll continue working on this… I don’t think I’m skilled enough to do this properly, and it won’t work with my usual style.

I like the vertical version! Perhaps more bees in the honeycomb, doing stuff? Fill in some of the cells? Maybe a couple of bees on wearer’s lower/mid right? Some bees with pollen on legs? Oops…no legs. Add mouths/change eyes to make different expressions?

Was considering most of your suggestions as I made it, but I passed on them mostly because I wasn’t sure how to do it properly. :tongue:

I’m into another bee design now… if I can think of a good way to do some of those things you suggested, I will return to it. :slight_smile:

Don’t you dare muck with it! I love it the way it is :slight_smile:

Here’s my oops spider, version 1. I need harsh criticism and tips… thanks!

http://shirt.amakihi.org/oops600.jpg

Man, that is the ugliest design I have ever seen!

Is that harsh enough? I left a real suggestion in the main thread. I’ll repeat it and add some here…

I prefer the web as it is, without notching. The string looks out of place WITH notching, so maybe lose that as well, but you’ll have to be careful to keep the knot looking knot-like.

Additional notes:

It probably got crowded with 8 eyes, huh? On those two outer eyes, you should probably add the white highlight as well, just to be consistent.

On the fly - is that a smile? I didn’t see it right away and I don’t think it’s necessary. I originally thought the smile was the line that finished off the round head of the fly - so maybe draw in that line and colour it the brown of the fly’s body?

Re: Harsh. Yeah, if it’s a poor concept, I wanna know now before I waste more time on it.

Re: Web. Consider it cleaned up, with the shadows present.

It does have very little room for more eyes, so I did add the dots of white to all of them. See the original pic above for the revised. I kinda like the smile of the fly (it’s laughing at the spider), but I might lose it entirely. Left it in for now.

The highlight size in the smaller eyes is tricky… I think it might be too large right now. In the sized down version, it looks like the white is overwhelming the black. Not sure how small you can make it without it being invisible though.

I think the concept is solid. In fact, you may wish to sub a second version with just the fly on the shirt. Maybe a few flies. I like it more than the spider.

ALSO - I just got a great idea, but I’m in the middle of a design. Grr. Will finish this one and try to do a third soon… I haven’t done so many designs in one derby for a while now…

This means the bed bug won’t be done. Somebody competent with linework want to take it up?