Derby #51: Pixel Grid

B00 :stuck_out_tongue:

nominates eHalcyon for Good Samaritan award

Me!

Huh. I might make a shirt this week.

Hah, thanks. By the way, these should also be useful:

ctrl+R to show rulers (right click on those to change units)

ctrl+H to show/hide extras (includes guides and grid)

Looking forward to it, Mr. Filley!

Thanks, Pensketch! It works great in Illustrator.

Dude, Iā€™ve been largely MIA the last few weeks, are you and jack back?!

Sweet. Anyone else make a triumphant return?

This ought to be a cool one. Creativeness with boundaries is always a fun combo. Letā€™s see what you got.

Nice designs last week :slight_smile: Youā€™re art is really improving!

Iā€™ve got you beat on the MIA :slight_smile: Iā€™m kinda back. I have at tops 2 hours to spend on a design, and with this one being so tediousā€¦ I donā€™t know if I can do it. Weā€™ll see. I do have an idea though.

Are you still submitting?

Thanks! I still havenā€™t made it to the top three yet, but Iā€™m starting to show some consistency near the top, I think. I hope saying this doesnā€™t jinx me. :tongue:

For anyone interested, I added some useful Photoshop tips and shortcuts to my first post here.

Iā€™d like to be, summer is the busiest time of the year for my job, so Iā€™ve been unable to make anything worth submitting in about a month or soā€¦ Youā€™ve been missed, thereā€™s been a distinct lack of undead entries of late :wink:

Last few weeks? Iā€™ve been largely absent since November, submission wise. I think Iā€™ve submitted in two derbies since my 4th place finish in ā€œcreate your own holidayā€

but yeah, Iā€™m back :slight_smile:

ā€¦at least for this derby that just ended and this one coming up. Iā€™m having a tough time settling on a design idea for this thoughā€¦so wide open.

Me too. I have ideas.

Thanks for that! I swear I learn something new about Photoshop at least once a week. :slight_smile:

Now I realize just how many squares this makesā€¦but itā€™s a fun theme anyway.

If youā€™re making this in Photoshop, the quick and easy way is to start a new file with 16"x20" dimensions and set the resolution to 4.

Viola. Use the marquee tool to box in your color groups or by pixel by pixel if youā€™d like.

My husband said something similar. He loves MS Paint for some reason. l o l.

Iā€™m a little disappointed too, but it would be too easy for people to abuse this. Still though, wouldnā€™t it be awesome to see an 8 bit version of Master Chief? XD

That was going to be my first question ā€“ not so much if I could put lines in, but if I could let the shirt show between squares. But then, theyā€™re pretty clear about the 1/4" blocks. Any space between them and youā€™d be outside the print area at 64x80 blocks plus space/lines. So, probably not.

They say you can fill or not fill the pixel. So just think of the 64x80 pixels as a canvas. You can chose not to paint some or to leave a row blank to create a negative space line.

Exactly. eHal, you might wish to edit your top post with this. There should be similar options in other programs. Working with a 64x80 pixel image and resizing it when youā€™re done would also work.