Derby #52 Cyberpub: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

I’m [mostly] back from my hiatus, woo! Japan is awesome! Talk about whatever here. As always, friendly derby discussion is welcome. :slight_smile:

Po: There is no charge for awesomeness… or attractiveness.

Po: The Furious Five! You look a lot bigger than your action figures! Except you, Mantis. You’re about the same.

Tigress: It is said that the Dragon Warrior can go for months without eating, surviving on the dew of a single ginko leaf and the energy of the universe.
Po: Then I guess my body doesn’t know I’m the Dragon Warrior yet. It’s gonna take a lot more than dew, and, uh, universe juice.

Po: [checking to make sure Shifu is okay after his fight with Tai Lung] Master! Shifu! Shifu, are you okay?
Shifu: [coughs] Po, you’re alive. Or we’re both dead.
Po: No, Master I didn’t die. I defeated Tai Lung.
Shifu: You did?
[Po nods and smiles]
Shifu: Wow. It is as Oogway foretold, you are the Dragon Warrior. You have brought peace to this valley and… and to me. Thank you, thank you Po. Thank you, thank you.
[slowly lays his head back down, assumingly dead]
Po: [Po looks disbelievingly at the red panda] No! No no no, don’t die, Shifu please!
Shifu: I’m not dying, you idiot!
[he catches himself]
Shifu: Ah, Dragon Warrior, I am simply at peace.
[lays down and folds his hands together, smiling]
Shifu: Finally.
Po: Ooh, so um, I should… stop talking?
Shifu: If you can.

(from Kung Fu Panda on imdb.com)

Kung-fu panda was a good movie. I like Wall-E better though… but I guess quotes from that one are harder to come by. :tongue:

And after a string of “children’s” movies, my next one will probably be Wanted.

I didn’t get to see Wall-E before leaving for Japan. My boyfriend mysteriously went on a dive trip and didn’t go with me. I was a little (a lot) upset. So instead I get to see it with Japanese subtitles for the five lines in the movie.

You could always… Youtube it? I’m sure it’s out there somewhere. :tongue:

Why do you say “mysteriously”? Do you suspect that he’s actually a superhero with aquatic powers, gone off to secretly fight ocean crime? e_e

could be handy in an emergency

like auto erot…er…aquatic asphyxiation?

Is it still too soon to submit my roller coaster death design? I think it fits the “emergency” theme, but I’m not sure if that recent roller coaster decapitation would still be considered a current (and sensitive) issue.

Spryte’s back, and I shed a tear of happiness.

Derby 52: EMERGENCY

Some emergencies are obvious: a burning building, a flash flood, a mad scientist in Times Square with a ray that turns people into insects. Others are a matter of perspective: a little kid would be more worried about his skinned knee than about the global oil crisis. Let your, um, urgency emerge and see what you can do with it in t-shirt form. Hurry, hurry! It’s an emergency!

RESTRICTIONS: The Stop Sign Rule is in effect this week: incidental text is allowed as part of an illustration, but no slogan shirts.

Well the only thing that consitutes an emergency to me is a beer shortage and CERTAIN SHIRT WEBSITES won’t print beer shirts.

But will they print LACK-of-beer shirts? Hmmmmmmmmm.

I see an empty beer glass alarm shirt selling REAL well… :slight_smile: Who’s got that one covered? I’ve already got mine… it has a goldfish!

eH, PM coming your way.

If a guy got drunk off his rocker and walked into the middle of the interstate and got hit by a dozen cars and killed, we’d all be talking about how stupid that guy was, getting all drunk and walking out in the middle of traffic.

I’m just sayin’. Thinning the herd is thinning the herd, no matter how it happens…

since your design involves crashing the passengers (i think) rather than decapitating passers-by, i’d say enough time has passed.

When I was but a wee J-School student, I had a gig at the university paper. One of my initial assignments was to cover a lengthy story about a student who’d done just what you described. She hired a cab to take her home, insisted he pull over on the Interstate and walked into traffic. She was hit by three separate vehicles; the last one a cop car. She was a brilliant woman who never really drank before, had a boyfriend, a family and a budding career in the bio field.
But you’re right: she totally had it coming.

I saw Wall-E, but not Kung-Fu Panda. My last movie was Hancock and my next will be the Dark Knight.

btw … yay!

How’s the situation look for the cab driver? I would think that he should have been bright enough to know that drunk woman + high traffic is not a good mix. As insistent as she was, wouldn’t he be in the right to keep her from going out?

Skek, replied.

Re: roller coaster, thanks for the input. I’ll see what else I can come up with. If I create something good like “Energizing Bunnies” then I’ll probably hold onto the design a little longer. Otherwise, you may see it in this derby.

I honestly have no idea how things turned out for the cab driver.

Congratulations to eHalcyon for 3000 posts.

drive-by: +1