Derby #59 Cyberpub: My phone's on vibrate for you

Say anything, right? Just be nice about it! As always, friendly derby discussion is welcome too. :slight_smile:

Trinity: I know why you’re here, Neo. I know what you’ve been doing… why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer. You’re looking for him. I know because I was once looking for the same thing. And when he found me, he told me I wasn’t really looking for him. I was looking for an answer. It’s the question that drives us, Neo. It’s the question that brought you here. You know the question, just as I did.
Neo: What is the Matrix?
Trinity: The answer is out there, Neo, and it’s looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to.

Neo: Yeah. That sounds like a really good deal. But I got a better one. How about… I give you the finger… and you give me my phone call?
Agent Smith: Mr. Anderson… you disappoint me.
Neo: You can’t scare me with this Gestapo crap. I know my rights. I want my phone call.
Agent Smith: Tell me, Mr. Anderson… what good is a phone call… if you’re unable to speak?

Morpheus: I imagine that right now, you’re feeling a bit like Alice. Hmm? Tumbling down the rabbit hole?
Neo: You could say that.
Morpheus: I see it in your eyes. You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he is expecting to wake up. Ironically, that’s not far from the truth. Do you believe in fate, Neo?
Neo: No.
Morpheus: Why not?
Neo: Because I don’t like the idea that I’m not in control of my life.
Morpheus: I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world. You don’t know what it is, but it’s there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I’m talking about?
Neo: The Matrix.
Morpheus: Do you want to know what it is?
Neo: Yes.
Morpheus: The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work… when you go to church… when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Morpheus: That you are a slave, Neo. Like everyone else you were born into bondage. Into a prison that you cannot taste or see or touch. A prison for your mind.

Agent Smith: I’d like to share a revelation that I’ve had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you’re not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You’re a plague and we are the cure.

(from The Matrix on imdb)

Up next: Derby #59: At The Luau

Nothing conjures up the feeling of gentle ocean breezes and lush tropical mountains like the distinctive visual iconography of the Pacific islands. Tiki idols and thatched huts, grass skirts and hibiscus, wild pig roasting over an open fire, long wooden canoes carved into intricate works of art, moonlight on the waves: just thinking about it is almost enough to carry you out of your cubicle and whisk you away to the South Seas. There’s a reason this exotic, bold, seductive visual style got so big in post-WWII America and remains a retro favorite today. We’re not necessarily looking for anthropological accuracy - just designs that use this visual vocabulary. Aloha - and good luck!

Okay, might as well get your $$$'s out… I’m gonna kick this one outta the park…

I wanna do a pig roast.

…or a Moai with a lei.

kalua pig… mmm… tasty stuff.

ON A NON-WOOT SIDE NOTE- anyone able to capture a flash video? I’d like to use a vid for my class, but alas, I don’t have the software to capture it: goblin shark biting… check it out- a shark that can protrude it’s jaws almost a foot…

EDIT: I am doing tourist birds… Two birds dressed in full tourist attire: cameras, floppy hats, leis, flip flops, aloha shirts. The female bird will be in a muumuu.

I think I’m gonna do one called “Relocating.” It will have a pig roast, among other things. :slight_smile:

o.m.g. this has the potential to be a stereotype-infused technicolor nightmare.

Hai, pub!

I have nothing useful to say, but the cyberpub looked so lonely I thought I’d give it some attention.

It does, but I’m also doing one based on the native wildlife- an amakihi on an ohia-lehua blossom. In case you never heard of either, here ya go.

http://members.cox.net/arniesdca/birds/anianiau.jpg

Oh Skek this is right up your alley! You’re not getting any sleep this week, are you. I love this theme too. My son’s room has been a surfer theme since he was an infant, and I love anything Hawaiian. This is going to be an expensive week for me!

Edit: expensive in time AND money!

Yes, of course, I had written off shirt.woot this week (getting blah’ed lately). Dragged the tablet back to work. Now I gotta drag it back home :slight_smile:

But yes, I hope I can pull off something miraculous. No halftones. No tricks. Solid animal cartoon fun. It worked in the past, I hope it works now.

Any bets on how many coconut “bra’s” we get? Besides mine, that is? :stuck_out_tongue:

As long as they’re not live-traced photos of dudes wearing them. But yes, you’ll see a lot of fake hula skirts on the bottoms of designs too.

But I bet top 10 will be a smiling dancing pineapple with or without other tropical fruit buddies (hopefully from eHalcyon)…

ooh, cannibals!
headhunters?
catamarans!

slugs ON catamarans! Now that would be risking life and limb for fun- riding the salty seas.

what kind of trees prevail on Hawaii?

I’ll pass this week. Way to much freelance is piled up that I need to get through. But, please, someone do something that references Joe Versus the Volcano. Preferably featuring some orange soda.

Here’s my sketch. Comments? The name of the design is: Let’s all go to the Luau. A parody of the candy commercials in the classic movie theaters. Comments?

http://shirt.amakihi.org/letsallgo.jpg

Not sure if I’ll enter. This topic isn’t particularly inspiring for me. It also looks like you’ve got the dancing fruits down. :slight_smile:

Wondering if there’s a way to work in a HIMYM reference (Pineapple Incident)…

Changes on Cameesa! They’ve removed the 31 day limit on submitted designs. So your money doesn’t languish, you can also now freely move your cash support around. I think I’ll submit something to them soon (Pica Republic for one).

I’ll be submitting the sponge attack within the next two days! :slight_smile: