Derby #60 Cyberpub: Parting is such sweet sorrow

Looks like just me, poof and no1.
KT did a fly by.
Poof and I aren’t any good for bouncing stuff off. Poof doesn’t wear tee shirts.
Yes, it is true.

But I know what I like. ///being facetious///

I’m just showing it off, then!

Fallephant!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3613/fallephantvc8.jpg

6th.
Don’t you come from a large family? Can’t you get them to vote???
I wanted that shirt.

How can you draw that well and have such sloppy handwriting?
I like it.

I got blindsided. On Monday a whole bunch of people came out and jumped all over my design, saying it looked like a salt marsh, like a swamp, like it was a bunch of reeds around a pond (evidently they’ve never seen actual cattails, or they NEVER would have mistook my design for those), they hosed me big time. As far as I can tell, this happened only because I had the audacity to get up to third place. Up until then I’d been in the hotness, and at the top of the hotness, for much of the time. They effectively stopped my votes until pretty late on Tuesday when they started to pick up again. I spent much of Wednesday evening and Thursday morning again in the hotness. Oh, yeah, AND I was ‘off-topic’ in a derby where only five or six designs got rejected- like my design was at all off-topic if you read the description.

I’m left handed. We have to curl our hand around into weird positions to keep from dragging our hands through the ink, so we never learn how to write properly, even when we are writing in pencil.

Yep, you were robbed on that one. It was like a gathering of vigilantes.

The shirt people are just weird.
Maybe because they know you aren’t a graphic artist and you did better than they did.

nah. They clearly can draw better than me, most of them. They just tend to draw for each other and not for the people who buy shirts. Usually when I get a lot of votes, most of the time I don’t get many comments; I think my votes mostly come from the average woot buyer, not the artists. They are so mean that I think they are probably scaring people off, and certainly scaring the average voter from commenting. Why would a really good designer put up with it? -They can get paid a lot better on threadless, and potentially on Design By Humans. anyway, I’m off to bed.

I am a fellow southpaw!

The reason most lefties curl their hands is actually because right-handed people taught us to write. When we’re young we curl our hands in an attempt to mimic the right-handed position of the teacher. It just gets ingrained into us, so we write with the hand to the left and above the pencil/pen-tip instead of below like it should be.

As for messy hand-writing - I think the major reason is because Dr. Joe is a male. Most guys just have messy writing. :wink:

Joe, your Fallephant is amazing. Looking forward to seeing it completed and coloured.

I’m left-handed. I was taught to write by my lefty father. We curl our hands because we are trying to avoid smudging the ink. And because we are generally social outcasts, so our handwriting might as well look like graffiti.

I don’t know… I still smudge. It’s not as bad with ink though. I hated taking notes in elementary (and if I remember correctly, Jr. High) because we were required to use pencil. The graphite smudged like crazy.

We are not social outcasts. We are independent free-thinkers.

Developing my own little shorthand for reporting involved keeping my hand from resting against the paper. I hated the idea of being the lone person at a press thingie who looked like a child who’d just learned how to operate a pen. (‘I WRITED UH ARTIKUL.’) The result was something that no other person could’ve read.

Pencil’s definitely worse than ink, yeah.

lulz, cute spin. I married another lefty. We both could be filed under ‘outcast’ or ‘free-thinker’. We’re, uh, COLORFUL. But we have terrible penmanship.

To get our high school diploma in Alberta, we have to take a class called CALM 20. CALM = Career And Life Management. It’s basically a glorified health class with marginal discussions on writing resumes, budgeting, teamwork, sex ed, etc.

Writing resumes was fun though - we did this exercise where we were supposed to take negative traits and spin them as good.

Example: my room is ridiculously messy. I’ve got textbooks all over the floor and I only vacuum every six months or so. And I don’t do a good job of it.

For the resume: I am a creative organizer.

I am jellis. I want the CALM class. I’d be so much more well-adjusted if I’d had that class. And, uh, calm. Maybe.

Instead, I had to learn everything about spinning from Ferris Bueller and Wag the Dog and, uh. Parker Lewis Can’t Lose. (I’ll bet I’m the only one who watched that…)

Jealousy has such negative connotations. You are inspired by others and aspire to attain their success. :wink:

The class didn’t actually teach us how to spin stuff - they just had us do it. But it was fun!

I do aspire to attain other’s success. I have some of my own. Like I can beat my friends at arm-wrestling and headstand contests. I AM ALL THAT IS AWESOME.

It sounds like a fun class though…we have much to learn from our Northern friends.

Man, I gotta get to bed or I’ll be feelin’ the sleepy tomorrow.

I should either be sleeping or working on homework.