Derby # 664: Wonders of the World

[derbysummary=674][/derbysummary]

Youth love cats and star wars! I miss when themes were themes.

I miss restrictions on themes

I saw a few rejections this round, with the comment, “Does not meet the quality bar”.
So, um, what’s that exactly?

Youth love lots of things, btw, not just star wars and cats. And youth, as mentioned in the write-up, is a state of mind…but tis the season for back to school so we’re running with that.

What is a worthy theme in your mind?

What type of restrictions are you looking for? I agree with your comment in your interview that constraint drives creativity, but we also want to avoid a derby full of designs that are variations of each other. If you can, point me to a derby that had restrictions that meet your criteria.

So “back in the day” “no creme tees” was replaced with “no text” This really forced the gags to be visual and not rely on these text only designs. It pushed many designers to move to a quicker design (less quality) when their designs loses to something that took 5 minutes (snarky all text).

Here’s my idea. You go ahead and pick a theme. Then as a group come up with the 10 most obvious shirt ideas or tropes that might pop into your head when thinking about that theme. Then use that to fuel the restrictions to the derby. Without restrictions is were you get the stuff that looks generic and overdone. That’s just my opinion, of course
I’ll be the first to admit that I spend a fraction of the time on my design as I did back in the day and I also cop-out and knock out a few quickies. But that is only because it is so accepted; once there was a mighty force on the forums that held lofty ideals and would smite any designer that scoffed at these ideals…

Popular ones:

• no text.
  • no pop culture.
  • no politics.

As much as it pains me to say it, even though over 80% of my collection falls into this:

• no cats.

At least it’s not necessary to keep doing this anymore:

• no bunnies.

Yes. yes. yes. No pop culture is a nice one because it argues for original art. Again, it only works with enforcement.

Youth love cats and star wars! I miss when themes were themes.

I miss restrictions on themes

I saw a few rejections this round, with the comment, “Does not meet the quality bar”.
So, um, what’s that exactly?

Youth love lots of things, btw, not just star wars and cats. And youth, as mentioned in the write-up, is a state of mind…but tis the season for back to school so we’re running with that.

What is a worthy theme in your mind?

What type of restrictions are you looking for? I agree with your comment in your interview that constraint drives creativity, but we also want to avoid a derby full of designs that are variations of each other. If you can, point me to a derby that had restrictions that meet your criteria.

So “back in the day” “no creme tees” was replaced with “no text” This really forced the gags to be visual and not rely on these text only designs. It pushed many designers to move to a quicker design (less quality) when their designs loses to something that took 5 minutes (snarky all text).

Here’s my idea. You go ahead and pick a theme. Then as a group come up with the 10 most obvious shirt ideas or tropes that might pop into your head when thinking about that theme. Then use that to fuel the restrictions to the derby. Without restrictions is were you get the stuff that looks generic and overdone. That’s just my opinion, of course
I’ll be the first to admit that I spend a fraction of the time on my design as I did back in the day and I also cop-out and knock out a few quickies. But that is only because it is so accepted; once there was a mighty force on the forums that held lofty ideals and would smite any designer that scoffed at these ideals…

Popular ones:

• no text.
  • no pop culture.
  • no politics.

As much as it pains me to say it, even though over 80% of my collection falls into this:

• no cats.

At least it’s not necessary to keep doing this anymore:

• no bunnies.

Yes. yes. yes. No pop culture is a nice one because it argues for original art. Again, it only works with enforcement.