Derby #76 (Beginning): Honorable Mention

It’s too clinical, I think is my main gripe. There is more proficiency shown in it than in seki’s entire backcatalog of work, but again, it doesn’t feel like there’s any heart to it. It’s all smooth vectors and no organic flow. that, and the picture posted really makes it feel like it was designed in a box, as opposed to taking on its own shape.

it’s like how Dave Matthews has a band of skilled musicians doing skilled musician things without really creating music. It’s all fine and good on paper, but the end result is song-by-numbers. This feels like art-by-numbers to me. Though there is one bit of your curiosity that does get me… if someone more skilled made a design like this, the clarion cry would be “looks better on a poster, not on a shirt.” Something about the whole situation doesn’t ring true, and that something is probably what made wooters snatch it up and me hate it.

While I’ve been fairly pleased to not have any interaction with you for a decent amount of time, I’m afraid I must break this streak. :stuck_out_tongue:

There are no vectors involved, this was all hand drawn. In terms of “designed in a box”, I designed it on the tshirt template, because I know that entries that are more “artistic” tend to look bad on tshirts (you may disagree, but that’s irrelevant) and I wanted to design it to fit the shirt instead of just having it look like it was thrown on. Also, there were many people who did say they would rather have it as a poster on the thread, so that breaks your “theory.” Keep in mind that tgentry’s Stuck Inside received many of the same comments but still printed.

In fact, I feel that if tgentry had posted this design, you would have loved it, but because it’s me, you are scraping for any reason to dislike it. :stuck_out_tongue:

While I obviously am not Adder and can’t speak to his opinion, vector doesn’t necessarily refer to vectors in the sense of a tool you might use in a graphical design program - it can refer to a disease carrier (your shirt is apparently full of them!) or it’s also a pretty heavily used term in geometry and higher level math subjects. So there’s that. (for all I know he meant vector like Illustrator does)

I don’t know how any of those definitions fit my shirt? I’m well aware of other definitions of vectors, but I just took it to be the most reasonable definition. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am just excited to be an HM. I’m also enjoying the new woot!

Thanks for the HM woot and congrats to all the HM’s this week. Wow, the “NEW” makeover is fabulous too!