Derby #84: The Sea

OoOOoOo Sea…

I’ll have to consult my marine biologist girlfriend… :stuck_out_tongue:

And yes I hope they go reject CRAZY on cliché/overused designs.

Should be a good theme- but it’ll be tough for people to resist the resub itch- we’ve had several aquatic derbies already.

But as usual, I have an idea I’m not sure I can pull off in 1 day or two…

Originality?! Lol! good luck!

1 word…

Zombie Mermaids.

I’d buy it in a heart beat…

Um, Zombie mermaids is two… never mind. :slight_smile:

I heard about this “originality” thing a while back. An old drunk sailor told me about it late one night at the local pub. He said he had been tracking it for years and was very close to finding it.

I’m pretty sure he’s fishing in the wrong waters…

wow…this is actually really difficult. :frowning: poo

Soooo… would an angler fish be considered an overused subject? There’s at least two shirts out there featuring one… my concept would be very different though… I’m thinking of an angler shaped submarine and a little driver looking out the eyeballs. :slight_smile:

Thoughts???

Okay, here it is, my badly drawn on Xerox paper in ink Sea Kitten!

http://phantography.com/sea/sea%20kitten.jpg

Please hold your applause till all comments are in. :slight_smile:

(I know, I am playing to the masses, but I gotta try and get votes.)

Whoa! I did not get that kitten spayed and she had kittens in the form of duplicate posts! I have taken the extra unwanted posts out back and sadly they died of claw hammer disease. You can ignore these now… it is probably best to anyway.

Whoa! I did not get that kitten spayed and she had kittens in the form of duplicate posts! I have taken the extra unwanted posts out back and sadly they died of claw hammer disease. You can ignore these now… it is probably best to anyway.

I bet if you search for “catfish” on cafepress or zazzle, you’ll find several of these have been done already.

You would definitely risk rejection especially since there have been several angler fish submitted to woot itself. If you really believe in the concept (which is good), then do it up, but don’t be surprised if it gets axed.

The design is strong, but it needs a shtick…
some humorous/witty element that seperates it from the rest

I was thinking angler fish too…guess I need to think of something else lol

I actually made something sea related for the last derby but never submitted it.

I have been using Illustrator for my entries so far, but I have been having a real difficult time making the print-ready file (every color separate layer). Any pointers for me? Should I use a different program like Photoshop to make my vectors?

Also, do you have to submit the print ready file right away, or can it be e-mailed later?

Too bad the Synchronized mermaids can’t be resubbed. I’m looking forward to that one where ever you do end up submitting it.

Indeed… but given the style of the design, I’m not really sure how to pull that off. It might just have to be a serious shirt :frowning:

And octopuses, octopi, octopodes, and the entire order of Octopoda.

Done…
I did see a couple of shirts that were similar, but I think my design should be unique enough… I want to do a school of them, and I have included front paws and may include some cleaning themselves…

Also those are ‘catfish’ Mine are SEAKITTENS! :wink: