Derby entry comments for Derby #107: Bags

You make a lot of good points, but you forget that in all of the examples you provided, the icon DOES remain intact even though the positioning has changed. You STILL haven’t altered the icon itself. The meaning may change in the examples you provide, just as Coke slanting it’s logo at a 45 degree angle might make it look more “edgy”. They could put the Gatorade logo at 45 degrees on a pair of boxer shorts. Does that change it’s meaning? Would people suddenly not recognize what it is? We’re talking product and packaging design here. Whatever happens to the logo, it remains intact as the logo, it’s presented in a respectful way, and people still recognize it as such. I turned the logo less than 45 degrees and it still came across to everyone as the woot logo.

As I said before, if woot wants to change it then that’s their call, just like it’s their call if they wanted to change any entry submitted. We’ll see who’s right or wrong on that? I’m not even arguing the point. The fact remains that they haven’t rejected a single other person for simply moving or rotating the icon, so it seems they think it fits within the rules of this derby.

I’ll close out by saying I’m very proud of this entry and I really appreciate the votes it got. Hopefully the rules are so clear in the future that there will be no room for interpretation or confusion.

Ambiguity over the whole Woot logo thing. In the edited rules, it said the logo was the exclamation point in the circle, and the logo was included in the template. The logo in the template was blue. It also said when they said exclamation point, they meant “logo” and that it had to be on a blue, black, or yellow background. I wasn’t sure at the time if that meant the circle could be those colors, or if it meant the blue circle had to be on a background of those colors. This being my first time entering, I also wasn’t sure if multiple versions of the same design were allowed, or if that practice was frowned upon. So I decided to go with what I knew for sure would be allowed. It was also late at night when the design was rejected, so I just wanted to make some quick changes, resubmit, and go to bed.

As to seeing other people use a yellow Woot Logo, I couldn’t be sure if that was really allowed or if they just hadn’t been banned yet. My original design was submitted immediately when submissions opened on Friday, made it through the first round of rejections based on the Woot Logo, and didn’t get rejected until Sunday night. Just last night I saw a design that had been up pretty much from the start get rejected.

I liked the original design too, as the shiny parts made it look more “hero,” and the blue shirt was more like Superman. But the new design has started to grow on me too. I think the yellow shirt stands out more in the thumbnail version.

All told, I’m doing pretty well for my first derby. Initial design got within a hair of 7th, and my current design went from 96th to 18th, and is still climbing. I’m eager to see how high it gets before voting ends.

The turtle (right hand side 3rd down) has an A on it’s shell.

What’s up with that?

I would totally buy this if you could print it as a shirt. I absolutely LOVE it. Even if you changed it to have no Woot reference on it at all, I would be estatic to have this as a T. It’s a very underrated design IMO.

Alrighty! We are down to the wire with the derby, let’s get some votes in! Fists in the air!

I appreciate all the support and votes that you guys have given this design! I didn’t expect that it would get this high up! Thank you

So thats what it is!! I still think an alligator would be better.

You wouldn’t be getting any. He’d be zombified and constantly falling over, drooling and mumbling about completely nonsensical things, whilst talking to a cat he thinks is a dog.
Thats the power of the hypno bag.

Thanks for all the awesome comments guys!!
I thought i was gonna do really well this derby, but i guess this just wasn’t my derby. And the fact that there were many more awesome designs coulda had something to do with it.
47th ain’t bad. Just gotta get higher next time!

This is hilarious!

Hrmm… Not so. This is a well executed illustration, but if you are not a cat person, than you would not want this on your bag every shirt you get. The designs in the fog are less specific in topic and are probably more appealing to a greater audience.

I am not a cat person and would not want this to win, however I did vote for it due to its overall clean and well done design. A well executed design always deserves a vote in my opinion.

Pretty sure it’s just a scribble. It’s based on Vandalized Turtle.

If you’re talking about the entry I think you are, it should be noted that the rejection reason was “modified logo”. Presumably the rejectionator saw the MAIN logo in the center of the design, modified, and hit his big red “REJECT” button. I agree that the design did in fact follow all the rules, but the problem was that the actual logo wasn’t noticeable - an important trait in branding. If the logo isn’t noticeable at a glance, it doesn’t well reflect the shirt.woot brand - and that WAS one of the catch-all rules Woot had in place for this derby.

I have to side with tgentry and his interpretation of alteration/modification/destruction of a logo, but you make some great points. My gut instinct is that Woot will leave the logo angled if tgentry’s design wins, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if they did “correct” the orientation.

Lol cute and so true :smiley:

I just posted this in the Contenders blog but figured it couldn’t hurt to put it here because you can never say thank you enough. Thanks to everyone who voted and kept me in the fog. It is deeply appreciated. I unfortunately, well fortunately, am out the door for our family camping trip and will not get the actual results until I come back Sunday. Thanks again especially to rachel1aaron (last time I promise) who was a huge help in bringing the design to life. Before I have a Sally Field moment, I’m going to sign off. Thanks again everyone! Wish me luck! Okay, maybe you can say thank you too much. My excuse is unabated excitement.

I have to agree with KIDA26. I like the concept, but the quality isn’t all that incredible. The layout really throws the whole thing off for me. Too much empty space in the middle. It also kind of reminds me of the Wu Tang symbol.

I dislike that this is in the fog. I appreciate the motivation behind it, getting all those winners in there, but I just don’t think it looks good. :-\

How did this not win? Auggghhhh! Twas brilliant.

I’d just like to thank the few people that voted for me… YAY!

It would be neat if the bag the cat was looking in also had this image on the side of it… one of those infinite sequence things. I did vote for this, sorry it didn’t win :(.

Speaking of small details…I like how the electrical sockets are smiley faces… lol