Derby entry comments for Derby #289: Literary Classics

Comments for individual derby entries are placed in this thread.

Based off of Sun Tzu’s book which will hopefully one day be turned into a musical.

Thanks to everyone who gave input in the pre-derby thread!

Inspired by Romeo and Juliet.

6 colors on brown–thanks for stopping by!

Fun Fact:
-When the Nautilus returns to the Atlantic Ocean, a “poulpe” (usually translated as a giant squid, although the French “poulpe” means “octopus”) attacks the vessel and devours a crew member.-

Click for bigger detail!
http://primitivetool.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/20000leagues-detailbig.jpg

A tribute to Sherlock Holmes. Not sure about the shirt color though, originally had the letters black but, I like black shirts so changed to red. I would have liked to keep the letters black, so any thoughts on which shirt color would look good with that would be great!

I absolutely love the poem “Invictus” from Henley’s Book of Verses, and this was my attempt at putting it together, with the final phrase in the eye of the storm…

From William Blake’s Songs of Innocence and Experience, which contains The Lamb and The Tyger. For the Lamb, I wanted something fairly straghtforward, and for the Tyger, I wanted it to be more chaotic, and to incorporate part of Blake’s vision of the dragon in it.

This version places Innocence on top, and Experience below.

From William Blake’s Songs of Innocence and Experience, which contains The Lamb and The Tyger. For the Lamb, I wanted something fairly straghtforward, and for the Tyger, I wanted it to be more chaotic, and to incorporate part of Blake’s vision of the dragon in it.

This version places Experience on top, and Innocence below.

looks like a photo to me

In the Odyssey, the Sirens sing a song so irresistible that none can hear it and escape. Circe warns Odysseus of the danger and tells him how to avoid it. He must plug up his mens’ ears with beeswax, and have himself tied to the mast.

Well if the sirens looked like this, covering their eyes would’ve also helped!

Here’s a larger view :slight_smile:

I like it

From Jack London’s White Fang.
In particular the quote: “They were firemakers! They were gods!” Part 3, Chapter 1, pg. 76. This image came to me while reading this … well, too long ago.
5 colors on black… thanks for looking!

Love it. I really love the candle warmth effect you have going on.

“Moby Dick”

Not Ahab’s brightest idea…

Looks awesome!

It actually is a free-to-use under the copyrighted commons law image.

Haha this is genius.

Great concept and drawing, Kevlar!