Derby entry comments for Derby #315: Inspired by Van Gogh

Comments for individual derby entries are placed in this thread.

Looking at the Internet, you’d think that’s all the guy could paint.

Came to this conclusion after spending hours trying to come up with something Van Gogh-ish

If you go by the apparently correct pronunciation it’d be “Vincent Van Fruffghkkk.”

Inspired by Van Gogh’s “The Potato Eaters” seen here:

6 colors on Navy

When he found his missing ear, he had to do another self-portrait, just to be complete.

He was a bit anal that way.

This portrait was meant to hang next to his mirror self-portrait, as a set.

Without text…

With text… Everyone has a taco night, right?

I wanted to make a Miyazaki related design for a while and this seemed like a great opportunity! :smiley:

OK, GO!

HPL done in the Van Gogh portrait style. But also, some tentacles. Big version: Vincent Van Lovecraft by sonofafish on DeviantArt

Use of photo, celebrity likeness. No-nos.

When the sorcerer’s out the apprentice will play. Obviously, the apprentice doesn’t practice his rifle skills in his off time.

The minute I saw the derby theme the sunflowers came across with this idea. Van(ksy) haha funny…

Thought I would try something original this week. Had a lot of fun making something inspired by Van Gogh. These artsy comps need to happen more often! Hope you all enjoy.

Yeah! That’s a happy little moon right there.

Would you believe I’ve had this same idea in my sketch book for a year now, but I never worked on it. GMTA.

You should just redo this with one ear on the stick figure to make it on topic.

I agree about the artsy comps, and I think this is a great example of how awesome they can be. Maybe I’m a little biased because I love the fall, but the colors on this are so good! high five