Derby entry comments for Derby #35: Spring

it rocks but the stooopid thing won’t let me vote. i haven’t voted on any yet and i have purchased. dernit! would get my vote easy, if it were easy. it ain’t easy!

the shirt does look dark brown, mabye an illusion due to the yellowish glow around the shirt…consider using a white glow to compliment the flower…the white glow seems to make the shirt look more black.

also its hard to see the detail of the pollen on the shirt…good job on putting the bigger detail

kudos on the design!!

Boy, and here I thought I was scaring off voters with my narrative discourses posted with each entry. :slight_smile:

I like the monochromatic take you have here.

Thanks for looking out for me.

It’s okay though; let the bad drama run its course until someone deletes it. Do your best not to get involved and you’ll be much happier when you’re not probated in the end. ^_~

Are posting from a new/alternate account? Your clear wootqube says that you have not purchased anything yet.

There’s a difference between a narrative and a dissertation :wink:

I think the problem is, most wooters don’t want to hear ANYTHING about their favorite design, especially if someone feels it’s a less superior design than they think. To me, a little explanation is especially helpful to cement the concept of more fringe ideas, and can be interesting as far as ascertaining inspiration, but there’s a definite line between interesting info and cluttered explanation. I wouldn’t say you do it, because I can’t recall your opening posts, but I know I’ve seen people give too much info on their work, and I know that the people who would most benefit from being up-front at the beginning are also the least likely to do so.

lol

I am not “reveling in self-righteous rage”, I do believe that you are the one who has consistently attacked entries in this derby because you feel that are copies of previous ideas and I do believe that you have twice began a thread in the community forums about people stealing other artist’s concepts. The idea of theft of intellectual property does not pertain to concept and therefore your argument has a major hole in it.

Just because Cho’s Snowman shirt has a sun and snowmen melting does not mean that Sokowa’s entry infringes on it. They are two separate concepts and it is up to woot to decide if they are too closely related. These two shirts are just as generally related as the ones you just defended. They are both snowmen afraid. One is a fear of spring arriving, one is a fear of the sun melting them. Would you say then that both designs are a concept theft of:

???
According to your logic they share the same concept. In reality all three images are unique. While they share a common idea that snowmen melt, the action presented in each image is woefully different and each one is equally protected in its uniqueness by copyright… but maybe you missed that class.

Patterns such as argyle (not directly the arrrrghyle shirt) do not fall under scruple either, as the pattern in general is not subject to copyright.

Images such as the tree in the all is bright entry, however, are extremely protected by copyright no matter how much distortion of the original is made.

You can read whatever you want into a piece of artwork, but copyright laws are fairly strict about just how much needs to be an exact duplicate of the original.

Though I guess I am “self-righteous”, as you so elegantly mentioned, since I go around to other people’s artwork and consistently make libelous statements rather than using the provided methods to referring such concerns to the staff at woot.

:wink:

Woot! It is now in the top 4! Keep going because I want this shirt!

which normally happens faster … if joel wasn’t on vacation.

Edit: ahhh here come the rejections now.

The staff at woot aren’t voting. If they reject this now, something else will get voted up next week. We need to teach the voters.

And it’s not about copyright. It’s about woot’s mission statement to bring us “exclusive designs you can’t get anywhere else”. If something is that similar to another work, it’s no longer all that exclusive or unable to be gotten anywhere else. Especially if woot themselves have printed the same basic concept. Again, the zombie and robot are safe because while both have been used in spades on woot, the overall compositions are fully different. This is a case when the overall compositions, while having differing styles, still encompass the same basic story… snowmen are horrified that they’re going to start melting. It’s not a copyrighted idea, but it’s not an original one either. Woot’s supposed to be looking for original, and the least they can do is enact a definite quality guideline against things which are too close to concepts they’ve already printed.

It isn’t up to you or anyone else to “teach the voters.” You or anyone else on this site are not responsible for determining what are “exclusive designs you can’t get anywhere else.”

That is what they have their rules for; that is why shirts get rejected. It is their decision, not yours, not mine, not anyone else’s about what is “original” and/or “exclusive”… so quit crusading for some cause that you believe is just.

These blatant posts of yours are merely fuel for imposing your view of what is acceptable as far as originality is concerned. If you have a problem with how shirt.woot does business, take it up with them and quit attacking the artists and designers here.

Your box next to your name says you didn’t buy, which means woot thinks you didn’t buy. You may want to look into that.

I don’t think this will be rejected, I was just offering information that I found interesting that mihalis had supplied. I do feel they share a common theme, though. The theme that snowmen are frightened and in eminent danger of the sun/heat is very adamant in both designs. I DID NOT say that the previous derby’s shirt was an original idea, had never been done before, or was a nice shirt in particular. Supplying evidence that the idea existed before does not refute my point. I was simply trying to indicate that woot has issues repeating thematic elements from previous woot printings (more strictly then other sources, from what I can gather), that is all I wish to say.

I wish all of you best of luck in rehashing this argument over the next 3 days.

thisis a bunch of pipes and fish playing in the fresh water of spring, the design wraps around the side of the shirt i dont see how this isnt with the subject but dead hands coming out of plants and skulls are. got me.

The rejections hadn’t happened yet. I hear they’re happening now.

Nice call on the hearts for eyes. Lets hope this shirt can get bizzzay!

It it outside of the printable area for Woot.

It was. Sorry for the unfortunate resemblance, Sokowa.

This is my first attempt at a shirt design on here so let me know what you think.