Derby entry comments for Derby #358: Perspective

Comments for individual derby entries are placed in this thread.

A parody of M.C.Escher’s Mobius Strip II design and the anti-gravity tracks of Mario Kart 8. I spent a couple of weeks drawing this due to the technical construction of the karts (I first built a clay maquette to familiarise myself with the shape) and Escher’s very precise, unique inking style.

Close-up detail:

http://www.infinitywave.net/mobiuskart-detail1b.jpg

See a BIG VERSION here.

Hope you like. Happy Mario Kart 8 day!

• Spiritgreen

detours are always inconvenient.

:slight_smile:

Wherever the road takes him…

Credit to my Aunt Judith for the idea!

A somewhat trompe l’oeil type design, and me playing around with making things glow…

Aliceeeee

Cultural Reference:
[youtube=znxFrgql5dc][/youtube]

Artistically inspired by Another World by Escher

“No, Jesse, it isn’t the DEA…”

Happy Mario Kart 8 day to you, too! And holy crap this is an amazing design!

Haha. I have to say, your designs are always so funny.

Aaaaaaaaaa. Absolutely mind-blowing, SG. Mind. Blown. It would have been funny to see a blue shell flying around off the strip, but this will still suffice.

Its being a long time since I’ve done my planets…

Awesome Cranston fan shirt! Love the perspective on this, Rad.

thanks TJ

I collaborated with cu3ik on a new version of an old design.

A well-known scientist (some say it was Bertrand Russell) once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the center of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy. At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: “What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.” The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, “What is the tortoise standing on?” “You’re very clever, young man, very clever,” said the old lady. “But it’s tortoises all the way down!”

Perfect summer design!

What a trooper. He’s not afraid to cry. What do you guys see?

WOW!

really loving the style of this. nice job