Derby entry comments for Derby #38: The Year You Were Born

I am curious about this. I made a constructive post but referred to the artwork as childlike and critiqued the color choices, etc. Does this cross the new “please play nice in a kid’s tshirt thread” boundary?

That is sooo vague. I truely believe personalities come into play into this. If a mod likes somebody, they get wider berth. General nastiness is not a rule. THIS PLACE IS GETTING SUCKIER BY THE MINUTE.

You realize “here” is where all the comments on the individual shirt pages go, right?

My complaint isn’t that it’s a child. There’s another child shirt in this derby, but no one is voting for it. why? Because it’s bad and done by a child. This one got a plug about being done by a kid, which got people voting for it. It is a bad design getting votes because it’s a child. I don’t mind that it’s a bad design. I don’t care who submits. But most poorly drawn shirts, at least this level of bad, don’t get votes. This is, and only because it’s done by a kid. I have no gripe with the kid or the mom. I have a gripe with the people who somehow think a shirt that they’d have passed by if it was by an adult is suddenly worth more from a kid. It’s not. I am picking on adults. Adults who don’t get what the derby’s about. Adults who are, as I’ve said before, making more and more good artists avoid this site every week they do something like this. Get offended that I’m attacking your taste, not that I’m attacking a kid. The kid can’t help it. Adults can.

A pretty strict rule they have is the one for “mod-baiting”. That’s a Gatzby rule, and is probation city.

What happens when the mod is out of line? As I see it, this is actually a mod baiting people.

There are tons of reports for comments made on shirt that are out of line. Yes, you can get probation for that, especially when it turns into personal attacks.
I call them play nice probation’s.

For goodness sakes, it is a young kid.
The shirt was colorful and not all that bad. Made me smile.
She shouldn’t be reading all this stuff, but why post the entire debate about kids on her shirts thread?

The only probation’s I’ve ever given out on shirt were for posts that people reported. Usually more than one person.

I posted my view on the thread for that one shirt. If those comments get posted here too…well I don’t read the shirt threads, they are too long, so I didn’t realize it. I was only talking about that one shirt.

I

You’re arguing that your opinion is better than ours. Awesome.

any more, I guess you mean, 'cause before, you were saying that kids shouldn’t be allowed in the derby, just because they’re kids:

<<referring to Laura

From what I’ve seen in your comments, Adder, you just aren’t sure what you think about this. On the one hand, at first, you were clearly stating that kids shouldn’t be in the derby. But then you started talking about how you wouldn’t mind kids being here if they were great, Threadless quality designers.

Now, you seem to be suggesting that it’s the voters who ought to get their heads straight, and vote for the good designs, regardless of who entered them, and that you really don’t have any bad feelings about this kid or her design at all, except that the doofus voters are voting for her design, and by doing so they are continuing the slide into awfulness that the derby is apparently on.

So, finally, at this point, I really have NO idea whether I agree with you or disagree with you. I think that the design and the comments posted by the mom and the designer caught on at first because it was just a sweet story, near the end of the derby, when most of the people who check out the forums had already voted for their favorites, and it got a little ride in the hotness. Then, you got a hold of it and boom! 70 votes or so! Probably the next entry she submits will be more down to earth in its votes, and this will all be forgotten.

I dont think any of those options is so bad. I see no reason to need bad designers, kid designers, or moron voters.

I hope you and Name enjoyed unloading your copious extra votes on this brilliant shirt, the sort of which we should cherish and wish for more of.
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Then why must you put yourself in this argument? It really didn’t concern you at all.

Oh, come on, it isn’t that vague.
When there are 5 reports on the same post, or the same person, it isn’t personal.

Yeah, this is just because the thread for a young child’s shirt became a battleground or sorts.

I didn’t deal with this with my kids. My kids grew up when there was only one computer in the house, so it wasn’t an issue. My youngest is 21.

If it is bias that a mom would go defend a kid I don’t know…well deal with it.
I was only talking about posts made in a shirt thread where we know a child made the shirt. Not the general world of shirtwoot.

Oh, gee, maybe the fact that Adder was proposing that kids be banned? and that I have a 12 year old daughter that fairly often submits designs? Who belongs in this discussion if not me?

Actually I didn’t realize that the post went here too. But post here don’t go there, unless woot is a mind reader and knows which shirt we are talking about.

Like I said, it bothered me that the posts were there, where the kid would read them.
Your posts would not be considered, by me, to be out of line if it wasn’t a child.
Plus, just to get you guys more upset…I agree, a child should be allowed to read this large thread, so that is why I wouldn’t care if the posts were just here.

I’m now going to check and see what is back in the shirt thread. If this post is there I am going to think the woot computer is named Hal!

I really want to buy this one!!! when will it be released from the fog???

Wow, it is.
How did they do that?

So, in the future, if it is a kid, ignore them and hope it doesn’t win.

why was this rejected???

This sounds like great advice. If a kid enters again, we should all ignore them and hope they don’t win.

You go first

My 12 year old daughter is busy sleeping. She can certainly speak for herself, as she did earlier, but she has more important things to do right now. By the way, I would certainly not shield her from the comments made on woot, especially about her designs.I think the lessons she will learn from seeing the unvarnished harshness here will, in the long run, help her deal with life in high school and in adulthood. She is not going to grow up unaware of the real world, and in the context of things that she is personally involved in is a far better way for her to learn than being told about it.

I do think that everyone ought to be able to enter, especially her.
I also think that the voters, by and large, are poor at picking the best shirts. Of course, I think woot is also poor at picking the best shirts, so I don’t see how taking it out of the voters’ hands is really going to help much.

My Grandson lives in Germany and all his friends are jealous over his cool woot shirts. I would love to add this to his collection. It makes me Nana of the year in his eyes.

Just for the record, I lied about my birth year in my designs. I’m actually 9. Finally, noone is allowed to criticize me. MUHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAA