Derby entry comments for Derby #435: Northwest States.

Travis doesn’t always reject when there is already a low chance of it making it into the fog. He tends to look more at the derbies day of launch and day of closing or if I tell him something is wildly inappropriate in between. We will never print something with any drug reference.

I always loved it back when they could sneak in much more offensive words than “cojones.” I believe I’ve heard “cabron” and “pendejo” before. Those days are over, but at least they still slide past the filter here! :smiley:

Super cute!

Hahaha this is funny

Classic.

O RLY?

And the Colorado design in reference placed 3rd.

At some point, maybe a full disclosure of what’s off-limits? It’ll clear up any ambiguities.

Would love to have a shirt with a bird flipping the…uhm… bird

hahaha

We worked with the artist on the CO shirt to remove the pot leaf, but still print it. The 4:20 reference is indirect just like the CO shirt we’ll be printing which will still reference being “high”. Overt references like pot leaves is something we won’t be doing.

How often do you change the shirt from the design that won the votes? I can’t be alone in seeing a little impropriety here… Would the CO design have ended up in third place had the pot leaf not been there?

On a side note, everyone has their own opinion on why woot has suffered the loss of many artists and participation. I believe that it is due to little things like this… Back when the rejectionator was harsh but fair; we all believed that we were playing by the same rules. It really takes the wind out of your sails when rules are bent or ignored.

Mike admits that he should have rejected it earlier, but since they did get into third, we asked the artist if they would rather remove the pot leaf or be rejected. I can’t think of another time something like that has happened intentionally.

not bad, I still live in butte mt. All wooters should visit Montana.

Thanks for the support. This could be my best design yet!

I like this shirt, that is all I know.

The Space Needle is copyrighted and you can’t use its image on anything without their permission.

Hi All. I’ll take personal responsibility for not rejecting designs sooner last week. There were a couple that would typically have fallen into that rejection realm. I Didn’t check in to the Derby until late and at that point the design winners and such were already pretty solid.

I worked with the artist for the Colorado shirt because we caught it so late and didn’t think that it would be fair to pull the rug out from under them just because of my tardiness. Plus, I felt that the joke and design was still relevant without the overt drug reference.

We act with the best intentions with the design entries, it’s not always perfect.

Signed on just to make sure there was a good Oregon shirt in the running. This is good.

Thanks fable it means a lot coming from you.

Has nobody mentioned that the logo is the property of the NBA? See this: Seattle news, weather, sports, events, entertainment | seattlepi.com

But polar bears can be found in the Antarctic, right? :slight_smile:

On a separate note, is this your first penguin design? I don’t recall any other ones from you before.

Just as a matter of interest, what is the procedure if the staff would like to print a shirt?