Derby entry comments for Derby #47: Home

Comments for individual derby entries are placed in this thread.

I was feeling nostalgic and when I saw the Derby theme of HOME, I thought of the MASH (Mansion/Apartment/Shack/House) paper game that we used to play in school where you’d play to predict future events including the type of home in which you’d live. Hopefully the voters will remember this game. I remember playing a folded paper version, but I can’t remember how to fold it correctly. Anyone remember?

I did simple slightly-stylized designs and chose colors to look a little like blueprint designs. One window aglow in each home type. Thank you in advance for your votes. If interested, I did http://tinyurl.com/3jl9jd another MASH design featuring a version of the game that you can actually play right on the shirt.
promo

This is a spin on the classic nursery rhyme, “Sing a Song of Sixpence,” in which the birds live in the pie rather than simply being baked into it.

Edit: If you prefer it, you can pretend the blackbirds are actually penguins. :wink:

You know what it’s like.

You set off on adventure. You head out to the wild parts where nobody goes. You take the chances and you seek the new frontier. You lose yourself and find yourself and you get turned around.

You’re never the same again.

The journey is treacherous and the stakes are high, but you brave the unknown, facing things that the regular folk all shudder to think of. Far out there are sights that bring fear and awe, that are hideous and beautiful (sometimes at the same time). The risks are great but the rewards are greater.

You wouldn’t have it any other way.

Then, finally, when you’ve done what can be done, you start back on the long road home. You thought you might never return… but there, in the distance, is the place where you hang your hat. There you will find comfort and ease, relief and rejuvenation. The road may have been long and winding… dusty, dry, and all kinds of crazy… but you’ve made it back now.

You’ve made it back home.

Cozy on up and make yourself at home. This little worm did…right in the fruit bowl. Curtains and all adorn the little worm’s home in the Delicious Red. Wonder where he’ll move next.

Some of the most memorable moments in the 20th and 21st century have not been real. In fact, most have not been based on anyone in particular in the slightest. I’m talking sitcoms. Some of the characters you watch every night with your own family seem to be as close as your own child. They could do it all: get into trouble, learn valuable lessons, and grow up and all within 30 minutes. They were and still are a source of comfort and humor and once in a while, helped us see what we need to change within ourselves. If that isn’t a measure of ‘home’, I don’t know what is.

Unfortunately, some people have to call a cardboard box home. At least it can still be made cozy.

Don’t trust woodland creatures to house sit, especially if your house is made of candy.

Home is where the bling is.

Here’s a rather nice close up of the piece:

Play it again…right on your shirt! I was feeling nostalgic and when I saw the derby theme this week I thought of the old MASH game I used to play in school. If you’ve played the game, you might remember that MASH stands for Mansion, Apartment, Shack and House. One version of the game had the home type determined along with 3 other events. (Names, Numbers, Vehicle …for example.) The names would predict your future spouse, the number would predict the number of kids and the vehicle type would determine your family’s mode of transportation.

I played the folded paper version along with the spiral version. I displayed the spiral version in this design. Go ahead and play it directly on the shirt. Choose the 3 topics in addition to home type. Fill in the blanks with the player’s information. Count the number of spirals from the center (in my design this is 4) and starting with the mansion symbol start crossing off each 4th entry until only one of each topic remains. Circle them and this predicts the player’s future. Corny…I know…but I loved this game when I was younger. :slight_smile: Hope others remember it.

P.S. I did http://tinyurl.com/674gpq another MASH design featuring stylized versions of the four housing types.

Dangers may lurk out in the darkness, but this little puppy is safe at home.

Even zombies have to go out and bring home the bacon…er, brains. After a long day at work, this poor guy is certainly glad to be home in his graveyard.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn220/GravityJMB/BRAINS-1.png

Now you can take a piece of your home with you as you go out for your day.

Some animals carry their homes with them wherever they go. What if they could move into the style of home of their choosing? Enjoy!

It’s a snail. :slight_smile:

Thanks for checking out: “Re-Calibrating”

• or -
    “Home is the Hard Light Holographic Projection My Heart Provides Thermal Bio-Fuel to Sustain”

Homes flourish all sorts of diverse ways. Very VERY diverse ways. For Susan and Kelly their holographic domicile is powered by your ticker! Don’t worry, it won’t hurt a bit, and right now it’s time for their weekly re-calibration. Their neighbors call them mad scientists, but they say they’re just cranky because the new baby doesn’t sleep normal hours yet, not mad in the least. So let their home be near (and plugged into) your heart and check out a few detail shots!

would love your thoughts and comments! thanks!

Damn! You did it again! This is great!

I was killing myself trying to figure out how to make this design work. One question:
How’d you do the keyboard? Live trace? Clip art? I’m a person who respects resourcefulness so if it is clipart, more power to you =D