Derby entry comments for Derby #51: Pixel Grid

Back when I was just a little DaedalusKnight (you know, back in the Bronze Age) there weren’t a ton of computers to be had. Oh, sure, there was the occasional IBM-compatible monochrome DOS system that your friend’s rich cousin had, but you rarely got to see it and it wasn’t all that exciting anyway.

Then, one day, came the Commodore 64, and it seemed like everyone could have computers in their own homes. And not only have computers, but computers that had sixteen whole colors in their displays. It took a bit of saving but I finally managed to scrape together enough birthday and holiday money to get one for myself. And one of the first things I could do with the mystical machine (aside from play Archon and such) was to create simple graphics.

Very simple graphics.

Anyway, one of my first ever attempts at a design was an image of a fox I had drawn. It wasn’t very good, to be quite honest, but just seeing my artwork appear on screen (after many hours of trial and error) gave me such a sense of satisfaction that I showed it to everyone I could, including classmates and relatives. That image is long ago lost to a faded floppy disk somewhere (the big, black soft ones that were cutting edge at the time) but when I saw this derby I decided that I’d like to do a whole new fox made up of tiny blocks of color.

I hope you enjoy the result!

Then, one day, came the Commodore 64, and it seemed like everyone could have computers in their own homes. And not only have computers, but computers that has sixteen whole colors in their displays. It took a bit of saving but I finally managed to scrape together enough birthday and holiday money to get one for myself. And one of the first things I could do with the mystical machine (aside from play Archon and such) was to create simple graphics.

Very simple graphics.

Anyway, one of my first ever attempts at a design was an image of a fox I had drawn. It wasn’t very good, to be quite honest, but just seeing my artwork appear on screen (after many hours of trial an error) gave me such a sense of satisfaction that I showed it to everyone I could, including classmates and relatives. That image is long ago lost to a faded floppy disk somewhere (the big, black soft ones that were cutting edge at the time) but when I saw this derby I decided that I’d like to do a whole new fox made up of tiny blocks of color.

I hope you enjoy the result!

Because you can’t have too many skull shirts.

Miss Peacock, are you free?

I just watched this movie the other day.

I designed this as a low-res landing on the moon… Or a moon man hopping in microgravity. Take your pick. Despite the fact that it’s entered under “WayneAndGarth”- dangit…

An Evil woman’s eye enhanced by a single horn. No mouth? No other facial features? No… with an eye and horn, what else do you need? Leave everything else to your imagination… or your nightmares.

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Angels_and_Demons/mini-devil-28492.gif

If a rooster was sitting on the top of a barn in the northern hemisphere, looking to the south, which is the same way the peek of the barn’s roof ran, and it laid an egg, which way would the egg roll?

Hardcore Eating Utensils

I was thinking of making an a design similar to this! GET OUT OF MY HEAD! :wink: I like it, I am a little worried about it getting hit by the reject machine because of the lines. Than again maybe I am having trouble reading the rules in delirious drugged state (hooray removal of wisdom teeth.

GMV

Beautiful. You and I were obviously thinking along similar lines…

cool fox! nice play with the orange on black

Hope??? Nope. Dope. Nice design though.

Three pixelated fish offered for your viewing pleasure.

There is no bassoon.

Awesome. I love Argyle.

Good luck to everyone. Lots of good designs already very early!

The “lines” on this shirt are still 1/4" wide blocks, not lines between the blocks.

I would wear this. Pretty cool!

The cans need more love.

Our Australian Cattle Dog puppy Ra, pictured here in pixels which were hand-done following this photo I took of our Ra puppy. Adapted to add a giant bone behind him - he’s guarding that bone! 6 colors on red