Derby entry comments for Derby #59: At The Luau

Comments for individual derby entries are placed in this thread.

Good luck everyone - I skipped this week and I can’t wait to be a spectator. So many awesome illustrations in the forums already, hurray its Luau time, everybody limbo!

This is my take on a sunset over the Pacific. I used to have a whole bunch of OP (Ocean Pacific) shirts when I was growing up in the 80’s. I really wanted to emulate those clean designs and really hip, vibrant colors. It’s a lot different than what I’ve been submitting recently, but I’m very pleased with the final product. It makes me want to go to surf.

As far as the placement is concerned, as close to the collar and the right-arm seam as possible please. :slight_smile:

Haha! I love it!

Dewd! I was at this Luau party last night and we’re watching the fire dancers, then out comes this monkey just going nuts! And he stared at me dood! He was really mad about something and like just stared at ME for like forever! Then I woke up when my face hit the the punch bowl… man, I’m never doing Brain Erasers again.

This wasn’t exactly the party that Bob expected when he followed the natives into the jungle.

Looks interesting but this is a no text week. You might want to pull it before it gets rejected.

Enjoy the breeze
And the dancing fire

Just another new style for me to play with

a collaborative effort between toe2254 and klswoot. enjoy and please vote!

But… OH GOD, I don’t want to hurt the little fishies!

Congrats - it was awesome to see this start from a sketch and end up here! Nice Work.

A fairly common thing hopefully done in a unique way.

Inspired by the classic candy ad seen in movie theaters… replaced with a tropical locale and dancing fruit. The lead pineapple is holding a drink umbrella…

I really like this Blu. Is there any way we can get a better look at what’s going to be printed?

dancing fire? That fire looks like it is ready to engulf the whole island. Love it! :slight_smile:

Awesome, I had one of these when I was young and I could never figure out how to get the money back out. Great job using the crits from the forum to get this to be it’s best. Good luck, GMV.

This is inspired by the art of one of my personal heroes, concept artist and illustrator Kevin Dart.

I feel sorry for the tikibeast. That lady doesn’t look at all phased, and, well…you just know three scenes from now the poor squid is going to be in knots at the very least.

Shoot I just noticed your detail doesn’t match your comp - re-post fast! Before you get votes.

gmv, btw! :slight_smile: