Derby entry comments for Derby # 664: Wonders of the World

Cats were pretty revered in Ancient Egypt. Maybe they really built the pyramids for them to play with?

Love the use of negative space

wow this is amazing Simic

Aww, yiss.

Neil Armstrong said that “Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man’s desire to understand.” Neil Armstrong said that. Neil Armstrong.

He walked on the moon. The moon.

We don’t walk on the moon anymore. High school students can’t even find the moon on a map. Some of them mistake Minnesota for the moon. Others deny that anyone ever walked on the moon. My neighbor doesn’t even walk to her mailbox. She drives the five car lengths to the end of her driveway to check the mail.

So in these approaching dark ages, I propose adding The Desire To Understand to the New Wonders of the World with the hope that some people out there will keep wonder alive and continue the desire to understand.

Fun design!

If you aren’t of a certain age, you may not remember pull-tabs. And if you are really young, you may not even remember the controversy they engendered not too long ago. Along with the much-ballyhooed Y2K bug, their appearance on a UNESCO list was the story of the new millennium. In the late 1990s, when the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) announced plans to publish of the second millennium’s most significant Cultural Artifacts—the so-called 100,000 Wonders of the World—aficionados of the beverage can Pull-Tab (“Tabbies,” as they affectionately refer to one another) were hoping that their favorite invention would finally garner the respect that this significant innovation so clearly deserved. Most Tabbies, you see, remember the dark days when one had to bring some kind of can opener with them in order to enjoy canned beverages—and, likewise, most Tabbies can relate horror stories of being caught on an outing or picnic without one. So when Ermal Fraze invented the pull-tab in 1959, like Prometheus, he bestowed upon a thankful humanity a gift that many likened to the discovery of fire—or at least the invention of manufactured firelogs like Duraflame. And, as such, most Tabbies believed the importance of Fraze’s invention would land it in that coveted Top 100 spot on UNESCO’s list. Much to their horror, however, the Pull-Tab ended up coming in at number 87,151—just beating out Sony’s Betamax - YouTube but losing to Ronco’s Mr. Microphone. - YouTube There were, of course, complaints and protests and four or five hundred lawsuits from different organizations and lobbying groups outraged that their products hadn’t received adequate consideration and a commensurate ranking on the list. So, as a result, the release of the Official UNESCO Second Millennium List has been held up by various courts in different countries for the past twenty years. It is hoped that the different lawsuits will all be settled and the rankings finally made official before the start of the next millennium. We’ll keep you posted.

Inspired by the classic Wonders of the Ancient World. Wear it during your next history exam.

Seems that I’m not the only one who came here to praise that station wagon. Great job!

Makes me want a sandwich.

Exquisite cartography, sir!

Thanks!

I knew it!

My kids will be all over this.

Their Sheraton only has one star reviews, and now I see why.

As someone who’s about to go on a roadtrip in a couple weeks, this really speaks to me! GMV!

Yup. This is my childhood, wood paneled station wagon and all. Except maybe the giant ball of yarn. Great work!

Fun concept!

Very Nice! Great detail and a fun design. :slight_smile:

You can find it in Aisle 38 Bin 5.