Derby Preview #716: Countries!

This week we are visiting our favorite countries! Your design must represent a country or depict a ‘thing’ your chosen country is famous for. 4th of July designs are off limits, and let’s lay off patriotic America shirts…we’re a little late in the game there. No cream tees and no politics!

This Derby begins THURSDAY July 11th & ends THURSDAY July 17th at noon, CST. The three winning designs will be featured as the Daily offers Friday - Sunday. Great designs that don’t win may be included in an Editor’s Choice sale each Monday, so be sure to check back and see who makes the cut!

If you want to submit something else, submit here!

Not that I design, but do they have to be real countries? Or can they be fictional (such as Anvilania or Dunlikus)?

2 Likes

That is an interesting question…I think they can be fictional, I like that idea. As long as it’s relevant, interesting and people will get it.

3 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

Just to help inspire all my fellow wooters!

2 Likes

You may want to link to the updated version of the song.

1 Like

THIS ONE?

1 Like

OR THIS ONE?

1 Like

Almost everything is better with Rob Paulsen.

2 Likes

Okay, I have a question, @Lady5tark.

For Derby #716, we are supposed to “represent a country or depict a ‘thing’ your chosen country is famous for.” And I also understand there are “no politics” in this derby.

What if the thing we choose to depict is a negative thing—a terrible record on human rights—that some people might see as being political? When it’s really not. It’s human rights.

Here’s the design. Would this get rejected for being political?

Thanks for the input.

I’m not the mod, obviously. But I think anything can be argued as NOT POLITICAL if you believe that you are in the right.
Now, if the country was fictitious, then you could get away with this… I would think… Like using Panem as the country in question would be fine.
That’s just my two cents. I could be wrong.

Surely we can agree that the idea of human rights is non-political, at least within this community. If what you say above is the metric for what counts as political, it would also mean that anything can be argued as TOTALLY POLITICAL if you are personally against it, and I don’t think that’s true.

I see the “no politics” rule as being there primarily to avoid a wave of designs about Russia interfering with elections, pro or con Brexit opinions, etc- issues that reasonable people may disagree about, and that are currently being debated. As the design in question just uses the phrase “human rights” I think you’d struggle to put it in that category.

(It’s ultimately Woot’s call of course!)

2 Likes

I think @geekfactor12 put it great, and gave some great examples of political examples we are trying to avoid. The rule is there ultimately to protect customers from having a bad experience. We try to avoid timely things, so a wave of designs based on current political events isn’t ideal since they will very quickly be out of date.

I also agree that giving a fictitious place and discussing human rights is non political. What we are trying to avoid with the no politics rule is depictions of current political figures, depicting a current political debate ( or longstanding one), current events and anything else that would have ‘a side’.

2 Likes

After a number of tattles along the same theme, I just want to post this part of what is allowed in this derby! ‘THINGS’ a country is famous for are allowed!